Author Topic: West Coker & East Coker surnames  (Read 13537 times)

Offline Majge

• RootsChat Extra
  • "This is neverending! ;o)!"
    • View Profile
Re: West Coker & East Coker surnames
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 February 14 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have this family  :D Though I have Charles as dying at the age of 14years old?
I was sent Burial records for East Coker which states that 1829 Jan 25th Baker Charles age 14 of East Coker & the baptism 1815 Mar 26th Baker Charles son of John & Jane.
If you think I have it wrong I sorely appologise & would love to exchange info I have John Bakers parents as Matthew Baker & Sarah Stone (they are my 5th Great Grandparents)
Look forward to hearing from you soon
Kind Regards x
Maria
Baker,Banfield,Bradick,Broom,
Canniford,Cook,Eglon,Fowler,Guppy,
Harrison,Hockey,Hodder,Knight,Notley,Pilton,
Rendell,Rowe,Shepherd,Shire,Taylor,Trask
&
many more!
Mainly from Dorset,Somerset & Devon

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
"... Burial records for East Coker which states that 1829 Jan 25th Baker Charles age 14 of East Coker & the baptism 1815 Mar 26th Baker Charles son of John & Jane."

Reply to Majge,  Firstly, thank you.

You must be correct, because the burial records you were sent are linked to Charles Baker's baptism records.

I was sent my info from rootschat.com  but  my Charles Baker  must be a different person of the same name. Mine must not be the son of John & Jane. A pity for me because the baptism Mar 26 1815 did match the approximate year of birth of my Charles Baker.  The baptism was the only link I had to John Baker & Jane nee Rendall (your ancestors).

The wedding info I was given (for my Charles Baker) via rootschat.com, matched the age my Charles would have been if born 1815:  my Charles Baker married Martha Goater 13 Dec 1835 in St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. Martha Goater was the key for me to find any info on my Charles Baker.  [google Martha Goater to find the info I was sent re Charles Baker via rootschat]

My Charles Baker & wife Martha moved to London where their ages on the 1851 Census (35 yrs & 36 yrs) matched the marriage age of Charles & Martha in 1835 (19 yrs & 20 yrs). Martha was a year older than Charles - she was born 1814.  [re Bould:  Martha's mother, Sarah Goater/Goates nee Higgins, possibly has a link to a Bould family, she was living with them in the 1871 England census].

Guess I have come to a brick wall re my Charles Baker's parents and his baptism. That is OK. He has a common name.

MJHNZ

Offline Majge

• RootsChat Extra
  • "This is neverending! ;o)!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry  :-\ do you have a fathers name for Charles's marriage? the next Charles baptism is 1817, i will do some more research when i get chance. To see what else i can find.
Maria
Baker,Banfield,Bradick,Broom,
Canniford,Cook,Eglon,Fowler,Guppy,
Harrison,Hockey,Hodder,Knight,Notley,Pilton,
Rendell,Rowe,Shepherd,Shire,Taylor,Trask
&
many more!
Mainly from Dorset,Somerset & Devon

Offline MJHNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry  :-\ do you have a fathers name for Charles's marriage? the next Charles baptism is 1817, i will do some more research when i get chance. To see what else i can find.
I understand that the Charles Baker's parents names were not shown when he married.
The source of his marriage entry was a LDS: Film.
Re a baptism, perhaps he was born 1814.
I think I made the error of choosing John Baker & Jane nee Rendall without proof. I chose from two possible Baker couples. [Charles named his second son John Baker].
Charles & Martha's first child was born in Bath, Somerset. Martha was born in Twerton, Bath, Somerset. Perhaps Charles was born elsewhere e.g. Middlesex. [the passenger list for the voyage  to NZ in 1859, said he was aged 44, a Journeyman Carpenter from Middlesex.] Martha was also 44.
MJHNZ

Offline richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 February 14 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if you have any Parker surnames from East Coker, Chilthorne areas??

Offline HenryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 January 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace Peter Gould, born about 1943/44. We were at school together
He was one of the Gould family who owned the rope/twine business

Can anyone help?  Thanks

Offline mhgr13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 May 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am related to Giles Rendoll around that time in West Coker

Offline HenryS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 May 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks MH.  By coincidence I was able to trace Peter last week

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 December 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
My connection with East Coker comes from my grandfather Jack and his son Fred and another sin Frank who was my grandfather. My father David Foot was born in the village. I noticed that the Baker family is sought and just to say if a connection with Longburton is found then I have direct relation Mercy Baker. On my grandmother's side an Edward Higgins was there in the late 1700's.

My father was born in 1929 and brought up in East Coker and after leaving regularly returned and if you have any general questions about other villagers who would have been around at his time, I will be happy to discuss with him.

Mark