Author Topic: 1831/1901 census  (Read 17288 times)

Offline ftman007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1831/1901 census
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 October 09 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'd be more than happy receive something on the Toners, Connells and Blairs!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 October 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    The enumerator for the Parish of Dungiven also listed the townland where each family lived.
Toners Dungiven Parish: James Cashel, Owen Magherabuoy, Thomas Magherabuoy and Widow magherabuoy.
Toner Banagher: Mary

Connell Nil for both parishes.

Blair Banagher, James, 3xJohn and Levi.

Not very enlightening but if you could be more specific we might be able to help more.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline ftman007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 October 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the quick response.  I am working backwards from my ancestors John Connell and Sarah Toner, who had three daughters: Lucy, Mary (my ancestor) and Sarah.  By 1872, the family was in Scotland.  A poor law application indicated John was from Londonderry.  His death certificate gave his parent's names as John Connell and Janet Kane.  Sarah's death certificate listed her parents as Philip Toner and Jane Blair.

I recently located baptismal records for Lucy and Sarah.  Lucy was baptized in Feeny on Oct. 23, 1848 (the sponsor was Mary Toland).  Her sister Sarah was baptized in Feeny on Sept. 28, 1852 (the sponsor was Mary Anne Toner).  I haven't looked at the parish records themselves, but the online index doesn't refer to Mary's baptism. 

I was hoping the 1831 census would turn up something for the illusive Philip Toner or John Connell, the fathers of my ancestors, in Feeny or perhaps Dungiven, where there seemed to be more Toners.  Maybe the death record was wrong, and Sarah's father was not Philip. 

In any event, if you have any suggestion about where I might look next, I'd be very grateful.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 October 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I am sorry but I have been unable to locate any of your names in the locality of Dungiven or Banagher. Civil registration of Catholic marriages and births did not start until 1864 so you have to depend on church records where they exist. I double checked the 1831 Census Index and also looked at the 1858 Griffith's Valuation to no avail.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline ftman007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 October 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the effort.  One of these days, I hope to look at the parish registers for Dungiven and Feeny, to see if some of the names turn up as sponsors or witnesses.  Philip Toner doesn't appear to be a very common name - which makes me wonder whether the father's name wasn't Philip.  If it was, perhaps he came to the Feeny/Dungiven area from somewhere else.  Thanks, again, for your help.