Author Topic: John BODDY - Pickering 1843  (Read 2107 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John BODDY - Pickering 1843
« on: Tuesday 31 October 06 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Any information on the family of John Boddy born 1n 1843 Wrelton Pickering would be very much appreciated.  He and his wife Olivia from Oldham settled in Helmsley, Kirkbymoorside and had 6 children, one of whom Annie Boddy born 1882 was my great grandmother, I believe she married William Leng in December 1904 but cannot confim this.  Any information on John's siblings, parents etc would be gratefully received.

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Boddy Pickering 1843
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 16:15 GMT (UK) »
This may be your John Boddy,s birth registration:
John Boddy Sept quarter 1844 vol 24 page 474 Pickering North Yorkshire.
Sending for his birth cert will give you his parents names then it will be easier to find his siblings.

Annie Boddy married William Leng Dec quarter vol 9d page 875 1904 Helmsley.

Hope this helps
regards
Margaret
Threlfall, Riley. Thornton. Whittaker, Laycock, Green, Webster, Wilkinson,Astin, Stephenson, Houlker

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,  Many thanks for the information. I have been trying to find a bmd address for the Kirkbymoorside area, it looks like it closed in the 1970's, if anyone knows where it is now I would love to know.  Yours Julie

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Julie
The registration district for Kirkby Moorside is Helmsley.
regards
Margaret
Threlfall, Riley. Thornton. Whittaker, Laycock, Green, Webster, Wilkinson,Astin, Stephenson, Houlker

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, I'll try to find the Helmsley address tomorrow, many thanks for the info, yours Julie

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
I don't know if you are aware or even want to but do you know that you can order certificates online at http://www.gro.gov.uk The are £7 each and take about  a week to 10 days to arrive depending on how busy the records office is.
Sorry if you already know this.
cheers
Margaret

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret, I've ordered marriage certificates from Sunderland  BMD and they've only taken 3 days to arrive which is a credit to the superintendant registrar, but I've not had chance to order them from elsewhere yet, that's the trouble with family history as you know so many lines which ones to follow first, but I'll get there, many thanks for the address no I hadn't heard of it, yours Julie

Offline Nannawilk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

I have parish registers for Kirkbymoorside

There's this marriage

31 Dec 1904 William LENG, 26, bch., porter of Leeds, parish of Holbeck, (s John LENG, mason) and Annie BODDY, 23, sp. of KMS (d John BODDY, gardener) banns, by John Robinson, Vicar of Edstone. Wit. Thomas Boddy- G. Alderson and Margaret Loase - Ruth Harland

There are baptisms for these children of John and Olivia BODY

23 Jul 1876 Thomas
1 Jul 1878   Margaret
2 Nov 1879  Alice
31 Jul 1881  Annie
7 Oct 1883  Joseph
12 Jul 1885  Edith Hilda

Cheers

Gina

Just found another baptism

8 Nov 1874  John Robert s John and Jane* BODY, labr. of KMS, by D. M. Cust V.  Note added by W. G. Ketchley, Vicar, on Feb 6th, 1887 states Olivia alias Jane*

Gina

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John BODDY - Pickering 1843
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gina

Thank you ever so much for all the information, youv'e answered one of my biggest questions, what made my Great Gran Annie (Leng) Boddy move to Leeds from KMS in time for my Gran,  Olive Gwendoline Leng to be born in the parish of Wortley Leeds on 5 Nov 1905 and now I can see it was because of William's job as a porter in Leeds.  Thank you also for the dates for Annie's siblings.  I'll keep a watch out for the other spelling of Boddy and the fact that Olivia was also known as Jane. I've only just got in touch with my Uncle on Genes Reunited he knew very little about his ancestry so he will be delighted when I tell him the news.

Yours Julie :)