Author Topic: Descended from a Prince of Wales?  (Read 15988 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Descended from a Prince of Wales?
« on: Wednesday 01 November 06 19:16 GMT (UK) »
This may be of interest to anybody who thinks (dreams :) ) they may be descended from the original Princes of Wales or any other great names of the Cymric past, such as Owain Glyndwr.
   Peter Bartrum, now 99, began a project in 1929 to trace Welsh bloodlines from 300 to 1500 AD. There are 26 volumes of the stuff - and Aberystwyth University now plan to put them online.
  Be patient, however. It'll take three years to transfer everything on to computer. Still, it'll be worth waiting for - just in case :)

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descended from a Prince of Wales?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 06 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Actually Gareth, I am descended from OG's  sister  via my Puleston line. I was dead chuffed when I found the link because it links in to the Tudors and so many of the 'noble tribes'. Also Simon de Montfort somewhere. See http://www.ancestral-tales.co.uk/html/lee_pulestonline.html and http://www.ancestral-tales.co.uk/html/puleston_tree.html for the line back to 12th century.

I've got a copy of Griffith's Pedigree's which gave me the tree info but Bartrum on line would be great : )

Thanks for the info.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations Gadget!
  (Though I don't really know why I say that - it's not as though it's an achievement on your part :)  I suppose it's more like winning the genealogical lottery.)
  A recent series on ITV Wales tried, not totally successfully, to trace a family tree in reverse, starting with a celeb and trying to trace their descendants. It had even more of a feeling of a "fix" than WDYTYA has occasionally, where you realise the researchers knew who they were going to end up with before they started.
  But the first traced the line of Owain Glyndwr down to Monmouth MP David Davies, ironically a rather anti-Nationalist Tory, and his father had some fantastic pedigree books, which made good TV, even if it did make it obvious that the programme-makers had known about the link in advance. Perhaps you and DD are related too.
  Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
By the time it got to me, Gareth, my family were mainly coal miners via the ag lab route so I'm just and ordinary Welsh lass (with Scots and English ) connections.

I would imagine that most of us do have connections, it's just proving the link. Luckily I got there. I don't think it makes me any different.

I think I got a bit upset and guilty thinking of how one of my lines might have treated the other lines in the dim distant past  :( :( :(

And being linked to the Monmouth MP has really not made my day either. Thanks a bunch for telling me  :(

However, as a more general point, as I said, I do have Griffith's Pedigrees and can provide info for anyone if they have a named ancestor.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 June 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
Ok, Gadget, I'm intrigued.  What are Griffith's Pedigrees? ... and would they have any reference to my 2xgt grandad Charles Glendower Powell, who gave many of his (13? 15? 16?) children (including a daughter  ??? ) the middle name Llewellyn?  He's been defying my efforts to find his family for more than a decade ...

I think he's one of those sitting in a pub somewhere chortling about leading me a merry chase!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 June 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
The Griffith Pedigrees  is a large book compiled by J. E Griffith of Bangor Univerisity in 1914. The title is Pedigrees of Anglesey and Caernarvonshire Families with their collateral branches in Denbighshire, Merionethshire and other parts. It has been Reprinted twice by Bridge Books, Wrexham.

ISBN 1-872424-63-5

It was £60 when I bought it a few years ago.

I think there are lots of links if you G*gle.

Gadget

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 June 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Ohhhhhh.

Thanks for that .... hmmm, *does mental calculations* ... 60-odd pounds, these days, amounts to ... ermmm ... about 150 aussie dollars  :o

Might have to take a rain check on that ... unless i win lotto lol
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 08 18:16 BST (UK) »
Like Gadget, also a few years ago, I bought a copy of Griffith's Pedigrees for a similar price; if you can use the information in it for your own research or even the pleasure of browsing it is well worth the price of a bagful of recyclable light reading. No regrets.
     Is a second-hand dealer or public library an option for you?
           Hope you get your hands on one.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 June 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
Another point is that you really do need to find one of those Gateway ancestors. Mine was circa 1670 and then with help from Jayson, who put me on to someone who also shared the same ancestors, i was away.

Gadget  :)