Author Topic: Descended from a Prince of Wales?  (Read 15921 times)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descended from a Prince of Wales?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 June 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,
    I was most interested to see your link to your Puleston descent, but couldn't get your link of Nov 2006 to work; is it still available?
           Regards,
               Pinot

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 June 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi pinot

It's because the Rootscaht webspace server is down. I've now moved my website to a new server.

Here's the ancient tree:

http://www.ancestral-tales.co.uk/html/puleston_tree.html

and the previous bit:

http://www.ancestral-tales.co.uk/html/lee_pulestonline.html

I'll go udate the previous message  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 June 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
      Thanks for your quick reply and the two working and enjoyable links.
               Pinot

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 June 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
 :D

I hope you enjoy reading the whole site!

Note that it was Katheine Puleston b. 1670 who was the Gateway ancestor and then Robert Puleston b. c. 1358 married Lowri fch Gruffydd Fychan of Glyndyfwrdwy who was Owain Glyndwr's sister.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 June 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
*makes mental note to approach second-hand dealers, and look on e-bay*

Thanks for the tips, everyone  ;D
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 August 08 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody,

I've just come across this post-very interesting as I believe I am related to Owen Glyndwr on 2 lines of the family at least.My link on one side comes through his mother's family.She was I believe Ellen the daughter of Llewelyn Ap Owen who was the son of the Lord Rhys[Arglwydd Rys].

Ellen's sister was Gwenllian,the wife of Rys Ap Rhydderch who was another Grandchild of Lord Rhys.Gwenllian and Rys Ap Rhydderch had a Grandson called Kydwgan Fawr whose wife was a 2nd. cousin to Owain Glyndwr.Hence the 2 lines.

My family descends from Kydwgan Fawr through the Estates of Carrog, Llanddeiniol,Mabws,Llanrhystud,Gogoyan,Llanddewi Brefi and Ty'n y Park,Nantcwnlle to name but a few.There are connections to the Gwynns of Monachty,Lloyds of Llwyndafydd and others.

They all converge on the Griffiths family of Nantcwnlle,some of which still reside in the locality,some of which[like me] who have travelled far and wide.It would be interesting to see if there is a link to the Griffiths families of North Wales but I've yet to come across one.

I have,nt read or seen the Griffith Pedegrees,are they available on-line?If not I would be grateful if anybody could check the detail in my letter to confirm what I know.I have considerably more info. available should anybody require this.

Thankyou,Diolch ynFawr,

brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 August 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
I'll check mine up over the weekend and get back to you - we might be very distantly relate  ;D ;D ;D

Gadget

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 August 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Brawd Houdini,
        Your Owen Glyndwr connections make very interesting reading; although I can't comment on much of your post, which J. E Griffith does not cover, you might like to know that he intersperses your descent with a few more generations (no d.o.b.'s, dates), so that Ellen (Glyndwr's mother) would be the daughter of Thomas ap Llywelyn ap Owen ap Meredydd ap Owen ap Gruffydd (ob.1202), son of the Lord Rhys.
         Perhaps Gadget will be able to shed a little more light soon.
                    Best of luck searching,
                                Pinot

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 August 08 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Pinot,

Thankyou for your observations-I stand corrected.As you rightly state there should be several more generations between Lord Rhys [1132-1197]and Owen Glyndwr[1354-?].Perhaps you can enlighten me on these missing generations as this is information that I do not possess.What I do know is that the Lord Rhys had 9 sons and 8 daughters and that 3 of the sons are called Maredudd and 2 of the daughters are called Gwenllian!!Also that Owen Glyndwr was the son of Gruffydd Fychan II and Elen Ferch Tomas Ap Llywelyn.

I also stand corrected on another point raised by myself in my original post when I state that Rys Ap Rhydderch was a Grandson of the Lord Rhys.Again there should be more generations added between them.Perhaps somebody can enlighten me of those missing generations as well?

My history is more complete from Rys Ap Rhydderch down,but as always nothing is set in stone and there is room for much more information to be added,brickwalls to be shattered,etc.For instance I do not know who the wife of Kydwgan Fawr the grandson of Rys Ap Rhydderch was and she is part of my line of descent,through their son Kydwgan Fychan[or Kydwgan of Carrog].

I hope that this stimulates more discussion on this topic,and that perhaps some more light will be shed on some more of these old Welsh lines.

Good luck everyone with your searches,

Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan