Author Topic: Bartholomew Kelly b1844  (Read 2605 times)

Offline peter c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bartholomew Kelly b1844
« on: Thursday 02 November 06 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am trying to trace BARTHOLOMEW KELLY. The only info i have is from census info, that he was born in ireland in 1844. There is no county info etc. He lived in St George in the East, Shoreditch for many years and married a lady called ANN. The only one that comes close from IGI is:

BARTHOLEMEW KELLY
09 NOV 1844 Askeaton, Limerick, Ireland
Father: MICHL KELLY
Mother: BRIDGT BUSTED

How do i proceed to check that this is the right Bart? I have limited access and irish ancestry of this period is not my strong point. The only reservation i have with this is that there is an E instead of an O in his name. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. Peter

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew Kelly b1844
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Did Bartholomew have any siblings that you know of? If so, maybe you could try to trace them too; if they turn out to have the same parents as the one in the IGI you found, then bob's your uncle (!)
The slight misspelling of his name is no cause for concern whatsoever. Many mistakes were made with spelling names etc on official documents.
The Bartholomew on the IGI could be the right one, but don't forget that not everyone is on the IGI.
Ages given to the census enumerator were not always accurate; people often didn't know their correct ages - or they might not always have wanted to give precise information for whatever reasons!
So be prepared to be flexible, search for at least 5 years either side of the presumed year of birth.

Without any other information, you can't be sure the IGI Bartholomew is the right one. Do you have his marriage cert?  Was his wife Irish?
Or , do you know of any siblings or cousins, maybe their marriage certs might yield clues as to place of origin in Ireland. Perhaps he travelled to England with relatives from Ireland, who lived in the same area of London as him?

Good luck!
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline peter c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Magsbutler.

Turns out to be the wrong father. Turns out to be HENRY KELLY. Oh well back 2 square 1. Thank you anyway for your assistance.

Regards

Peter

Offline ljbarber48

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 08 02:03 BST (UK) »
Edward Kelly was born in Cork, Ireland, about 1804. He married Monica Unknown (born ca 1809). He was a 'working jeweller,' living in London, England in the 1851 Census (Registration.District of Holborn in the Civil Parish of Holborn, St. Andrew. The Sub-registration District was St. George. The address was 135 - 20, Fullwood Rents, which is just off High Holborn.

Monica is listed as a 'dressmaker.'

Children of Edward and Monica Kelly were: Mary (born abt 1832), James (born abt 1834), Bartholomew (born abt 1844), Augustin (born abt 1845), Daniel (born, abt 1848) and Edward J. (born abt 1850). All of the children were born in Cork, so the family did not come to London till after that time, though present in London by 1851 (census time).

--------

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members. Personal Message sent.

Offline Gorry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew Kelly b1843
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I include here info concerning my ancestor Bartholomew Kelly born 1842-1844 born in Co.Roscommon, son to Michael Kelly.
Bart married at the Whitehaven RO to Mary Ann Lavery on 29/05/1860. After Cumberland they moved to Co.Durham and settled in various place.I have them on all census returns to 1911. But Bart died 03/04/1906. Two of his children the godfathre was Michael Kelly and I presume he was Bart's brother. He must be on the 1871 census but who is he?