Author Topic: "Oh dear" what does this mean??  (Read 9519 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: "Oh dear" what does this mean??
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 November 06 13:46 GMT (UK) »
pmmom.exe was only an example.

You'll have to look for any dubious process.  Check them all (all the non SYSTEM and NETWORK processes) just in case.

What was the name of that Trojan?

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 November 06 13:48 GMT (UK) »
what I read was,  win32, trojan download, malaware.
   does that make sense, Downside??
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 November 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oonagh

No it doesn't actually provide the name of the Trojan.

See if you can view the quarantine list in Ad-Aware and find the one with the red triangle.  It should have a name.

downside

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:05 GMT (UK) »
downside
             there isn't a red triangle, at the bottom of the list there is three red typed entries,two that I've told you about ,and another one "CometSy" category,data miner,oooh I don't know.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Downside
              do you mean trojan bckp

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:30 GMT (UK) »
bkcp may = backup copy

Win32 only identifies the class of Trojan.  They have a variety of names and capabilities i.e. Win32.sillyID.

Do you have an antivirus program running on your system e.g. Norton or McAfee?  The problem with anti-spyware programs like Ad-Aware is that they do not remove Trojans and all the associated files they install and Registry entries.  Even antivirus programs do not remove all the files and registry entries.  At best they remove or try to remove an executable file e.g. badboy.exe that causes the Trojan program to run, but leave all the other files and registry entries in tact.

If you have checked all the processes that are running by using Task Manager and cannot find any spurious process then we will have to assume you may be OK.  Usually Trojans install a program that runs all the time and drains the resources of your computer.  So if you haven't noticed your PC running slowly or any other curious behaviour then you should be OK.

downside

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:47 GMT (UK) »
nothing odd with task manager,I think my norton has run out,I used to be able to do a scan with it ,but I can't get it up now,I have tried  in between using the Ad Aware.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Downside,
              Ignore last post Iv'e found Norton AntiVirus,it dosn't run out till the end of the month,I'm running it now.

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:54 GMT (UK) »
If Norton does not pick up this misc. Trojan then try downloading a free version of AVG antivirus which picks up more than software you can buy on disc.
 ;)
Don't forget to check for norton updates either to make sure you scan for the latest threats.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London