Author Topic: Whin House Kildonan Arran  (Read 5898 times)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Whin House Kildonan Arran
« on: Friday 03 November 06 10:08 GMT (UK) »

Could anyone please tell me what was Whin House around 1922? Was it some sort of an orphanage?
A young boy was boarded out there when he was about 15. His Fathers whereabouts were unknown & his Mother had died some years before. He'd been in & out of Govan Poorhouse Glasgow.
Thanks

Sue

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whin House Kildonan Arran
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I will ask my family, when they get off the phone!  ::)

Meanwhile, the Arran Heritage Centre folk are very helpful.  They are probably on their winter opening hours by now, but deal with enquiries by email too.

http://www.arranmuseum.co.uk/

Will get back to you if I find out anything.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Family are not aware of the property, but suspect it was a farm, where the boy would have been employed in some capacity - quite common apparently.

If you Google you will find references to Whin House and Whin Farm.

Good luck with the Heritage Centre!

;)

p.s. photo of Whin House here

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 06 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that info. It makes sense that he was probably taken there to work on a farm as some sort of discipline as he was sent back to Govan poorhouse at one time for discipline. Not surprising really as his home life must have been awful!
Thanks again
Sue