Author Topic: Army mariages and deaths??????  (Read 4053 times)

Offline shirleyannmarie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Army mariages and deaths??????
« on: Friday 12 November 04 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Doea anyone know if you were married or died while in the army 1872-1880 would you be in the gro index for england if it happened in this country or just in some army register
Orr,Reay,Burns,Mcmeekin,Henderson,Horgan-Ireland
Horgan,Morgans,Richards- Wales
Dale,Clark.Tattersfield-England

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army mariages and deaths??????
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 04 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am not an expert on this, but checking Ancestral Trails by Mark Herber, it would seem that there were regimental registers kept by the army.  Registrations could also appear in the GRO indexes.  My gt grandmother was born in the barracks at Canterbury where her father was in the Buffs.  Her birth certificate (date 1877) came from the GRO.  Her father married in Ireland.  I never even thought to look for regimental registers. 

Apparently the GRO holds an index of baptisms and births for Britian and abroad which are contained in the regimental registers dating from 1761 - 1924.  The index is in one aplhabetical sequence for the entire period.

I think this is the answer to your question though: the GRO also holds registers for marriages and deaths but there is not a complete index and it cannot be searched by members of the public.  Applications can be made for GRO officials to search the index (and the unindexed registers) for any relevant marriage or burial entries.

The GRO also holds indexes to the army's registers of birth marriages and deaths for 1881-1955 for men serving abroad.

Hope this helps.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirleyannmarie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Army mariages and deaths??????
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 November 04 17:17 GMT (UK) »
 :) many thanks that has answered my question.
Orr,Reay,Burns,Mcmeekin,Henderson,Horgan-Ireland
Horgan,Morgans,Richards- Wales
Dale,Clark.Tattersfield-England