Author Topic: Any clues to Denomination  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Any clues to Denomination
« on: Friday 03 November 06 21:36 GMT (UK) »

I am researching the Roberts family from the Prestatyn/Rhyddlan area from 1820-1866. Next week I am off to North Wales to the records office at Flintshire hopefully to find out more about them. I have checked the IGI and found no clues so this means I have to check the baptisms and Marriages but I have just logged onto genuki and there are so many chapels and churches which ones do I try first ???

What I would like to know is there any clues from there names etc that would indicate a denomination to narrow down my search ?? There names were Thomas, Ann, William, Margaret, Elizabeth, Edward, Mary, John, Frances and Robert.

Any suggestions most welcome I am in Wales on Wednesday.

black sheep
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any clues to Denomination
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Black Sheep

Welcome to the North Wales Roberts family  :)

Mine were Methodists and C of E at various times. Before going to Hawarden, i suggest that you have a look at the Clwyd Family History site:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/

They have produced a lot of resonably priced transcriptions of Established (C of E) records for all the parishes.

Also worth looking at is the North Wales BMD site:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/

The main problem that I've found is the gap between 1812 and 1837.

The IGI is not very good with the ST Asaph Diocese but they did use Bishop's Transcripts for some parishes.

have a lovely trip  :)

Gadget

PS - my Methodists had either obscure biblical names or very plain for the males and rather more attractive and imaginative for the females but that could be just my lot  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline helkar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 06 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi black sheep
Just seen your request for info re denomination.   I cant help you with that but my interests are the Roberts.
Thomas married  probably Anne -  Rhuddlan/Prestatyn.  born c1821/23 Married around 1840-3.    Had a daughter Margaret c1846 married a Thomas Edwards   also a daughter Elilzabeth c1848.
Margaret Roberts/Thomas Edwards were married 1868 in Parish Church Prestatyn (may be called Christ Church) which I think was like the Church of England though Wales - which was created 1860 - try Genuki.org   Are we looking for the same Roberts????
helkar
Dublin, Glennon, Newman
Cork, FitzGerald
Manchester, Murray
N.I.  Dromore - Stewart, Morgan
Prestatyn area - Roberts/Edwards
Nottingham - Chilton

N.I. - Quinn - Belfast
Chester - Edwards

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Girls,

Blimey that was a quick reply!! Thanks for your advice Gadget I have high hopes for my visit.

Helkar, you have me a little excited I have Thomas Robert born around 1821-ish in Rhyddlan his wife was Ann (could be Jones) born 1831 in Prestatyn, children William 1845, Margaret 1846, Elizabeth 1849-ish.....

Does this sound like you lot ?????

Regards

black sheep
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline helkar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 06 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again black sheep
My Thomas Roberts  c1821  I also had Anne (nee Jones) used a Dec. Quarter, 1842 Holywell as marriage but according to R.O. not married to each other.  So thinking again re Anne.    She was c1823, Prestatyn
children,  William Jones Roberts  bap. July 1844,  Margaret April 1846,  Elizabeth Sept. 1848, Thomas July 1851 and may be a Robert 1853???
Thomas had different occupations    Tailor, Parish Clerk, Postmaster.
Anything like your group??
Await your interests?
helkar

Dublin, Glennon, Newman
Cork, FitzGerald
Manchester, Murray
N.I.  Dromore - Stewart, Morgan
Prestatyn area - Roberts/Edwards
Nottingham - Chilton

N.I. - Quinn - Belfast
Chester - Edwards

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Whooohoooo It is my gang!!!!!

I never expected a connection with the Roberts ;D

Offline maz 25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,just joined RootsChat & saw yojr message.My family of Roberts also lived in Prestatyn but not sure of any conection. Still great to say HI to you .I have a message in Roots explaining the history I have of the family tree.Good luck with your search Maz