Author Topic: Boaz Pelling 1901 census  (Read 2637 times)

Offline vbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Boaz Pelling 1901 census
« on: Saturday 04 November 06 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Im trying to find out what happened to my ancestor Boaz pelling, he was born in 1874 in Hellingly, Sussex, and in the 1891 census he was living at home with his parents William and Mercy Pelling but i cant find him anywhere in the 1901 census, and i also havent found any death records for him.

I also need to find his brother Charles in the 1901 census as he disappeared too, he was born in 1865 also in Hellingly.

Cheers
Vicky
Sussex: Pilbeam, Pelling<br />Grimsby: Guest<br />Norfolk: Bell, Perry

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boaz Pelling 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 06 12:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a C Pelling on the www.cwgc.org site.  He died in WW1 and is buried in Hellingly.  Son of Mrs W Pelling.  May be a later generation though.
Have you been through all the deaths on ancestry?  They have the full version on now, as well as the FreeBMD one, and it is free to search.
Andrea

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Vicky has probably already done this, but I have been through full death index 1891 - 1901, and there is no death for a Boaz Pelling.
And a brief glance at the 1901 index, even keying in just Pelling or just Boaz, or just anyine born in Hellingly, etc doesnt bring up any obvious possibilities for him mistranscribed.

What a lovley family to research, though! JUst a few of them in each quarter, nearly all in Sussex, and lots with Old Testament names like Ruth, Naomi, Hephzibah, Aaaron, Levi.....

but sorry, no help with Boaz
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I've searched ancestry for both of them and havent turned up anything!

Thanks for all your help though, i thought maybe fresh eyes would help but i guess i'll have to try and be more inventive in tracking them down!

I'll look into that C Pelling who died in the war, as he is probably a relation too!

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Emigration ?

And/Or 1899-1902 Boer War perhaps ?

If he did, and survived, have you sought out Marriages post 1901 ? Or maybe he stayed ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I've checked emigration and theres nothing on either of them, i'll look up the war now :)

Offline vbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 November 06 15:25 GMT (UK) »
i've found a mention on a website that a boaz pelling served in India in 1907. how would i go about finding out if this was my boaz?

Offline Renita Watkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 April 18 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky,  I am the great-granddaughter of Charles Pelling you are looking for.  Charles came to the U.S. around early to mid 1890s, where he settled in Chicago and worked at the Chicago Stockyards.  He married Maria Warden (my great-grandmother) and remarried again on 11/30/1900 to Emma (Hooper) Jones.  Maria died in abt. 1899 from breast cancer, had 3 small sons who were placed in an orphanage after her death because Charles did not feel he could take care of them.  Charles died 4/28/1925 at Cook Co. (Chicago) IL. 

I am not a newbie to genealogy but on Roots Chat, so you will have to excuse me if I do not follow proper protocol.  Let me know if I can help further.  So much fun to find a cousin!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.  vbell has not been on for some years now but if you make another couple of posts you will be able to send a private message by clicking on the letter icon under the user name.  She should get that if she is still active and has not changed email address.