Author Topic: Albert C Seifert Philadelphia  (Read 4447 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Albert C Seifert Philadelphia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 April 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
Swally,

Fantastic. What a terrific timeline you have compiled. Great hard work involved in this one, and it has paid off. Good luck tracking Marie's family. You know where to post if you need help. And have you checked www.raogk.org for help with the photos of the gravestones?

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 April 08 17:42 BST (UK) »
Good stuff, Swally!

What a story!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 April 08 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have helped.

Swally

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 April 08 20:44 BST (UK) »
Guys,

Just to let you know I was unable to get a picture of Helene Martha Seifert / Allan / Sannes's grave as she was cremated, I did however manage to get a picture of her daughter's tombstone in New Jersey.

A big thanks to all who helped me in my quest.

Swally

Offline cachlan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Swally: Are you still looking for information on the accident in 1927 when Albert Seifert was killed? My grandfather and uncle were killed with him. Thanks, Fred

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cachlan,

Thanks for the reply.  I have quite good details of the crash, what can you add?

Regards from Scotland,

Swally

Offline cachlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Pennsylvania: Albert Seifert lived on Orianna Street near my grandparents’, the Kligges. I have large photographs of the accident. It shows the car, the road, the field, the tracks and local residents looking on.

Mr. Seifert is likely that man named Carl Albert Seifert, locksmith and iron molder, born 8 September 1889 in Meerane, Germany. He left Hamburg, Germany 14 June 1913 and arrived in the United States 4 July on the ship Prince Oskar. Albert stood 5’ 7” tall weighed 160 pounds, had a fair complexion with blonde-brown hair and grey-blue eyes.

He declared his intention to be a US citizen 3 August 1914 in the District Court of Philadelphia. The declaration was filed 17 July 1919 because he had to have resided in the US at least 5 years.

The couple had at least one child, Marie born 9 August 1908 in Germany.

The family moved to 3008 Philip Street, Philadelphia, before moving to Orianna Street where my grandfather and uncle (both named Fred Kligge) lived.

He appears in the World War I draft registration in 1917 and it shows he had had previous military experience in the cavalry for three years in Germany. At the time of his World War I registration he was employed as a cement worker.

In 1920 Albert was still living on Philip Street not far from Orianna Street. He was residing there with his wife Martha. This census record shows that he was born in Munich, Germany and she was born in Berlin, Germany. Albert was shown as a gas welder in an automobile works and Martha was a knotter in a lace mill. There is no mention of daughter Marie who would have been about twelve years old. Sometime after this the family moved to Orianna Street (according to the newspapers). Albert was of course killed 29 July 1927 in New Lisbon, New Jersey and is probably that Albert Seifert buried in Northwood Cemetery, Philadelphia. His stone reads: “FATHER / ALBERT SEIFERT / 1889 – 1927”.

On Martha’s immigration index card of 1913, she is shown as a 24-year-old housewife, with a fair complexion, black hair and brown eyes. Her mother (still living in Meerans, Germany) is shown as “Seifert – M.” which is likely her mother-in—law. Martha or “Helene Martha” arrived in the US 29 October 1913 on the Neckar out of Bremen. Martha was born 22 December 1889 in Meerans, Germany.

It is likely that Albert arrived first to get things settled and Martha followed, probably with daughter Marie.

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Cachlan,

Wow!

A good bit of research there pal.

It took me years to find out that Helene, Martha and Ella was in fact the same person.  She married my great uncle, Alexander Allan, after the death of his wife, Agnes, in 1928.  They resided in Orianna Street with Alexander’s son, Robert.  We believe that there was a fall out as Robert left home quite early.  After Alexander died of T.B., Helene, Martha or Ella, later married A Swedish bigamist, Oskar Sannis.  She buried all three of her husbands in the one grave, but from memory only Albert is named on the headstone.

Are you from Philly?

Obviously I am in Scotland but I have been unable to find a birth certificate for Alexander’s son, Robert, who was born in 1913..

I’ll send you Alexander’s story later when I can get on my computer.

Kind Regards,

Alistair

Offline cachlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Alistair: I have a record from FamilySearch (free) that shows Robert Gordon Allan was born 25 June 1913 in Philadelphia, son of Alexander Allan, 28, born in Aberdeen, Scotland & Agnes Wood Bowie, 31, born in New Mllns (sic), Scotland (see below).

I was born in Philadelphia but we moved to the suburbs when I was about 2. My father grew up on Orianna Street.

Many of my ancestors came from Scotland including Dunn, Barrowman, Espy, Artt and Nixon.

Fred

Name
Robert Gordon Allan

Event Type
Birth

Event Date
25 Jun 1913

Event Place
Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Event Place (Original)
Phila, Pennsylvania, United States

Father's Name