Author Topic: 9th Lancers Photograph  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Grant Cargill

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
9th Lancers Photograph
« on: Wednesday 08 November 06 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have been sent here from a helpful person on another board and hopefully you can help me with a wee mystery.

Amongst my grandfather's photo collection I found a photograph of a man in the 9th lancers. Now my grandfather was Scottish and to my knowledge no close relatives were in the lancers. However the man does look like he could well be a relative of my grandfather.

On the back of the photograph is the following:

Printed by
H.Andree,
Newbridge.

Through looking on the Internet I have been able to discover that Newbridge was linked to the Lancers until 1922 or so. Would anyone know if indeed there was a photographer in Newbridge with the name of H.Andree? Also if so what time would this have been on the go?

Failing that if anyone knows of a place where I could find out this information then I would be most grateful. Perhaps some old directories or some such.

Thanks,

Grant

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 9th Lancers Photograph
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
I am also on the trail of identifying a soldier that was photographed by "H Andree NEWBRIDGE".
The photographer was I think Harry Andree and he was in Ireland for the 1911 census and in Co Kildare where town of Newbridge is located and also where the big army camp was located on the Curragh.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 22 11:03 BST (UK) »

The photographer was I think Harry Andree and he was in Ireland for the 1911 census and in Co Kildare where town of Newbridge is located and also where the big army camp was located on the Curragh.

Here's the 1911 census for the Andree family (and Harry Curl Ernest Andree born Dresden, Saxony).
House 4 in Blackrath and Athgarvan (Newbridge Rural, Kildare).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Newbridge_Rural/Blackrath_and_Athgarvan/568196/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002584591/

Living in the townland of Blackrath and Athgarvan just south of Newbridge.
https://www.townlands.ie/kildare/connell/great-connell/droighead-nua-rural/brackrath-and-athgarvan/

Edited to Add:
An interesting article about the photographer.
https://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.com/2020/04/looking-back-byrne-girls-1904.html

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 22 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that prompt reply and very interesting article and further info on Harry Andree.  Yes I saw his census record and it was a substantial house  ( I think nine rooms?) so he must have used portion of same for his work.  It is a bit of a mystery as to why he would relocate to a rural part of Ireland at that time. His wife was Welsh and he had two children.   I think his second christian name should be Curt anglised from Kurt? 
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)