Author Topic: Confused about County Boundaries  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about county boundaries
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 November 06 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I think they did eliminate Rutland for a bit .. didn't Leicestershire swallow it, then spit it out again ?   

It the same with where I live, Monmouthshire ... we have been part of England, then Wales, then no man's land, and are now Wales again ? 

I firmly believe in the old Scotland, N. Ireland, England, Wales and Monmouthshire listing ! 

JOIN THE FREE MONMOUTHSHIRE LEAGUE      ;D ;D ;D

When the first Severn Bridge was opened, there was a verse going the rounds in Monmouthshire:-

"Two great lands joined
Across the waters wide.
And all the tolls collected
On the English side."

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 06 08:31 GMT (UK) »
think boundary changes were around 1973, prior to that moordown would have been in hampshire, now in dorset.
I was working at county gates at the time and the traffic went ballistic as one -way systems had been introduced over night.
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
The date when the boundaries changed is 1974, as a result of the Local Government Act 1972.  Background information can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Government_Act_1972

It was one of the biggest boundary changes of modern times. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I was working at county gates at the time and the traffic went ballistic as one -way systems had been introduced over night.

I think I remember the roads in Westbourne being 2 way, especially Seamour Road, but wouldn't the One Way have been introduced before that?  It used to be a nice little village, until they built the Waitrose store, then Frizzell House and opened the Wessex Way.   All the way from Westbourne down to Branksome Chine the road was lined with Rhodendron bushes and lots of large old houses.  Now most of the Rhodies have gone and it's just blocks of flats.  Very sad.

Wessex Way went past what was previously the old Bournemouth West station.  We used to take the train from there up to Rugby Midland (also gone).  That was back in the days of REAL trains - smoke and steam etc... A rain journey was an adventure then.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
We were at school at Hailey School in Westbourne in 1972. It was in one of those big old houses and it closed in 1973 to become a language school. Now I hear it's gone to make way for a housing development.
This thread has now started a family lunchtime discussion ::) on "When they built the Spur Road?" having exhausted the "County boundary debate".  :)
I reckon 1969-70.
Fred

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:56 GMT (UK) »
the traffic went ballistic as one -way systems had been introduced over night.

This is beginning to get well away from the thread I started on Wednesday ... but the above quote made me think of our misfortune when on leave from Kenya; we went to Nigeria on the way home, to visit friends ... and arrived there the very day they changed from driving on the left to driving on the right !  Everyone played 'last one to break from the middle of the road to the right side ...'  Can you imagine the chaos, the accidents, the road rage ...

We stayed put and didn't venture out by car !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 November 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I think that's about right Fred for dating the spur road.

WOW Hailey - I remember that - halfway between Westbourne and the road that crosses at the traffic lights on the way to the Triangle.  If going past Hailey to the Triangle, left at those lights would take you to Bournemouth West station.  On the right side by the lights was an Ear Nose & Throat Hospital I think.

If you kept on to the Triangle, turned right at St Michael's church and went along West Hill Road a couple of blocks, I went to Ringwood Grammar School, long since gone.  It was a boarding and day school - went there from about 1961-1965 I suppose, then went to Poole Grammar School - the new one on Gravel Hill the year it opened.

I used to go past Hailey on the bus every day to/from school.  I grew up in Lilliput.
Small world......
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 November 06 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I grew up in Lilliput.
Small world......

;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 November 06 13:27 GMT (UK) »
You had me thinking you grew up in the same area as me for a minute or two, and maybe you did but then you added the reference to it being a small world followed by 2 smiley's.  So now my indecisive Libran side kicks in and says "well did they mean they grew up in Lilliput too" or was it just a pun - a good one incidentally.

I would defer to it being just a joke, but the thread is about the Poole/Bournemouth area, so now I'm not so sure....
Easy to confusticate me on a Monday morning.
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Hardy - Dorset