Author Topic: Middlesbrough - Eston area  (Read 27940 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Middlesbrough - Eston area
« on: Thursday 09 November 06 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Again am hoping the locals can help with this one. I am trying to find out exactly where 121 High Street Eston was in relation to what's there now. I have a copy of an old photo of some houses and shops which show Lodge Farm in the distance (see below) and I think it may be aroud the right area. I am assuming Lodge Farm was at the top of what is now Lodge Farm Road. In the 1901 census, 121 High Street is listed just before Prospect Terrace (California Road). Would Lodge Farm have been around where the petrol station is now? And would 121 therefore be where the shopping centre is?  ???
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline mikeguess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesbrough - Eston area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The picture you have is of Eston Square looking towards what is now Hadrian House, the high street going to the left down the bank towards Normanby.

Lodge Farm was where the Lodge old folks home used to be. 121 is in the "Precinct" so isn't the original building or in the same place as the old 121. On your picture it will be to the right of the distant building. There are other views of Eston and will have a look if I can see it.
There weren't many buildings on that side of the road as there was a train halt and store yards up to and beyond the farm.
Spenceley , anywhere

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike, I've had quite a few books out of the library to try and find it on old pictures and this one was about the closest. Would be grateful for any other pics.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline StevieB62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I appreciate that this post started quite a while ago but I have just come across it.  You are asking about 121 High Street, Eston.

I too have an interest in the same address.  My 1st cousin 3x removed, Mary Brentnall (nee Backhouse) lived there according to the 1891 and 1901 census.

In 1891 her husband was a Grocer & Ironmonger and in 1901 a registrar of Births, Marriages and deaths.

I would love to know if we have matches

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 March 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

How amazing that you've replied over 4 years later - just shows the power of Rootschat!

Unfortunately your ancestors were not the same as mine, my family's name was Lickess. They lived there to my knowledge in 1923 and 1929, I don't know exactly when they first moved there but it was between 1920 and 1923. I checked the previous censuses to see if it was a family member who lived there and was interested to see that it was a Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Very apt in our search for ancestors! Sadly I don't think we have any connection.

Good luck with your research.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The shops on the bottom left of the picture were, by the 1920's the Cooperative grocers and furniture store. Number 121 was most probably on the opposite side of the  road just behind the young man on the right.

I am still looking for map or photo of Eston before 1900 to use in my degree project and would be grateful if you have anything relating to this era or know book/source where I can access.

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the local paper Evening Gazette for photographs, also Francis Frith has some. 

My mum has a large collection of books bought from the gazette office, I am sure they will be an Eston one amongst them.  Unfortunately I am house bound at the moment and will be for another month or so, but will try and get a copy of the Eston one and have a look.

Jane

LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info. Uni is next door to the Gazette office so I will call in and see what they have.

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 March 11 01:03 BST (UK) »
Four years late  :-X

But mainly for jeaner.. map (1950's)from when I was interested in Eston Station: -

So try "old maps" -- google for older maps.

Try also references to "Cleveland Railway" for photos of the station.

Also the DVD "A century of stone" Some of the old buildings had not altered much at the time the DVD was produced. The interchange yard was operated by Tarslag in the 60's I seem to remember. Old photos and memories of Eston from the folk who lived then.

I visited the blacksmith to purchase material back in the early 70's having a need for black bar. A very interesting place, locked in time. The old buildings sticking out into the main road. Long gone in the needs of progress.

I remember the "Trackless" in the square.. the trolley buses.

George
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk