Author Topic: Middlesbrough - Eston area  (Read 27764 times)

Offline jeaner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesbrough - Eston area
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda
The only thing I can add is that Mrs Standley who lived at Heather Lea remarried after her husband Michael died and became Mrs. Horn and in 1917 is still living there and appears to be still trading as an undertaker. Not sure how you would get any further info about the house.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Linda, if you go into one of the local libraries you'll find books in the non fiction section about the area, many of them have lots of photos so you may be lucky and find something on where you live. You could also try visiting the Teesside Archives in Middlesbrough to see if they have anything, the staff there are really helpful so perhaps if you give them a ring beforehand they might be able to give you some pointers. (Ring 01642 248321)

http://teessidearchives.middlesbrough.gov.uk/CalmView/default.aspx
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline dollarkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 September 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

How amazing that you've replied over 4 years later - just shows the power of Rootschat!

Unfortunately your ancestors were not the same as mine, my family's name was Lickess. They lived there to my knowledge in 1923 and 1929, I don't know exactly when they first moved there but it was between 1920 and 1923. I checked the previous censuses to see if it was a family member who lived there and was interested to see that it was a Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Very apt in our search for ancestors! Sadly I don't think we have any connection.

Good luck with your research.  :)

Offline emilypowell707

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 September 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping this thread isn't too old to continue posting on :)

I'm looking for a specific person in the Eston area: William Thomas (no middle name/initial ever found) b. ~1810 Wales, d. 1878 Eston. He was the blast furnace manager at the Cleveland Ironworks, and was promoted in 1873 to the manager of all the blast furnaces belonging to Bolckow, Vaughan, and Company, Limited.

I can't seem to locate any documents about him (other than a newspaper article about an alleged murder attempt, and the following letter to the editor on how that never actually happened - March 1873.) He suffered a stroke (apoplexy) at or near the train station in Eston, and then died about two weeks later at his home.

What I'm really after is anything about him as a manager at the ironworks. If he was such an important person, why can't we locate more? Maybe the information isn't digitized yet?

Can anyone help? I've searched about Bolckow, Vaughan & Company, the Eston area mines, the local newspapers, etc.

Thank you so much!!

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 November 20 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all sorry for butting in but there's a family in grangetown down the road from eston according to the lady who runs a group called frog in Grangetown the grandson as loads of ledgers full of photos of the town and Eston southbank Middleborough one of the family for many years took photos from all over the lady  in frog was hoping that one day someone would make a book from all the pictures and have it published for one like your self's to checkup history the postcode is ts67sq you may want to call and ask about the ledgers hope this helps good look