Author Topic: NANKIVELL -Mary Tavy  (Read 22057 times)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: NANKIVELL -Mary Tavy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
John Nankivell Osborne was baptised at Mary Tavy 28 Sep 1806, illegitimate son of Margaret OSBORNE.
We have a new OPC for Peter Tavy & Mary Tavy, although she will not be available to do free look-ups until after August 9th. You can check the website at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/MaryTavy/index.html and scroll down to genealogy for the link after that time.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Philip333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi treemad, I am related through Jonathan mentioned in jwood's post. Jonathan moved to New Zealand where I am from.

I am not sure I can add much more going back than jwood. Mary Osborne, John's sister, was christened in Ashwater, Devon 20 July 1810. Walter and Mary moved to Gunnislake, Calstock between 1851 and 1861 where they are buried.

How are you linked?

Offline clair85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 March 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
hi philip333,
               I'm a nankivell and have heard of family in new zealand! not quite sure where i am going with this.. but did your family own a company or manage a company by any chance??

thank you :)

Offline Philip333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi clair85,
I don't know if the 'Nankivells' went to NZ. Jonathan Bartle's grandfather was a Nankivell, but not Jonathan himself. He went to NZ with wife and 1 child. He did not run a company.  He was copper miner in U.K. and a painter in N.Z.

Offline Tin Miner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:11 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Nacivle (Nankivell) listed at Blackdown died on the 12th Dec. 1849, aged 61, and was buried on the 15th Dec. Cost £1.10s.0d. By Rev. Anthony Buller. Coffin made by undertaker Thomas Daw(e).

I am interested in any information relating to miners of Mary Tavy and district, and hold a large database on its mines and miners. I would appreciate any information... many thanks in anticipation of your response.

Kindest regards Tin Miner

Offline Book man

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 September 10 07:19 BST (UK) »
Tin miner Thomas Nankivell is my ggg grandfather and I am currently writing a book on his family, any details you could share on Thomas and his sons Robert, Thomas, William, Francis, and John in the mines of Mary Tavy 1811/50 period would be appreciated. I have extensive information on the boys when they left England which I can share with you if you require same. Do you know where Thomas is buried?

Regards  Bookman

Offline Philip333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 October 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tin Miner,
I would be  interested in anything 'Bartle', 'Barkle' from the mines in Mary Tavy.
Jonathan Bartle's father Walter Bartle was a miner and died 1840 in Blackdown, but I do not know where he is buried.
Jonathan's uncle, Charles Kneebone Bartle, was a mine agent in Mary Tavy. He was christened Mary Tavy 1819. The 'Kneebone' is unusual and is not a family name that we can find. Do you know anything about that from your research?

Offline Haylingozzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 May 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just come across this sequence of postings and have Mary Tavy, John Osborne links so would be very interested to know the source of jwood's information.
I am descended from the John Nankivell Osborne mentioned.  I had found out that his mother was Margaret Osborne and that there was no father mentioned in the records.  The existence of John Nankivell, the father, was therefore quite a revelation as was the existence of a sister to John Nankivell Osborne.
Many thanks. 

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 03:30 BST (UK) »
I have a William Nankivell born about 1803 and buried Mary Tavy, 2 July 1843. Married Betsy Walters 16 February 1822, Mary Tavy. Known children are John, Samuel, Eliza (Betsy), Isaac and James all bap. Mary Tavy between 1822 and 1836. Eliza (Betsy) married Richard Runcivell or Rounsley, 20 July 1850, Mary Tavy and was buried 18 February 1912, Tanfield, County Durham.