Author Topic: Birth c 1846 Mary Crook (Ryan) Maiden Name Unknown  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Xuxan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth c 1846 Mary Crook (Ryan) Maiden Name Unknown
« on: Saturday 13 November 04 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
Well I guess this is a pretty impossible task ...but here goes.. My great, great grandmother Mary Crook was born in Dublin c1846. Unfortunately I don't know her maiden name but she was married to James Crook and had 10 children, John, Esther,Thomas,William, Thomas (Tom), Paul, Frederick, Emmanuel, Emily (my great grandmother) and Elizabeth Ann. I suspect that John, Esther and Thomas may have had a different father as John and Thomas are listed as Ryan's on the 1901 Census. I also think that John and Esther may have been twins as they are both listed as being 20 in 1891. Mary, James and their children lived at 2 Boarshaw Lane, Middleton (Manchester) in 1891. James was a coalminer born in Bolton c1847. Not much to go on I know but I'm ever hopeful. Thanks

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Birth c 1846 Mary Crook (Ryan) Maiden Name Unknown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you know when sheleft Ireland (based on the children's ages and birthplaces), when and/or where they were married (ditto) their religion?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Xuxan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 04 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I know practically nothing about Mary prior to 1891. However, all her children were listed as being born in Middleton, Manchester so we can assume she came to England between 1846 and say 1870 ...but its a pretty big time frame.

I can only guess at religion as my great grandmother (her daughter) was married in the local Church of England church of St Leonard's. But I don't suppose that proves anything ...

As for where Mary and her husband James were married I again have no real idea but I could guess at Bolton (his birthplace) or again Middleton where they were living at the time of their first child's birth.

It's all a bit vague I know but if you could be of any help at all I would be most grateful.

Kind regards.

Sue

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 December 04 11:21 GMT (UK) »
HI,

With this little information I think you need to do more research in England before going to Irish records as Dublin is such a big place. Search for their marriage in England on freebmd or 1837online as this will give the father's name, and find their entries in the various English censuses (Censii?) as they sometimes have more detailed birthplace information (and varying ages)
You can sometimes find relatives living nearby on censuses.

Without the maiden name and father's name at least or siblings, you'll never know if you have the right Mary.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington