Author Topic: 1901 census lookup --Cork City  (Read 10249 times)

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 census lookup --Cork City
« on: Friday 10 November 06 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone mind doing a 1901 census lookup for Cork City????   I am looking for residents of 20 Blarney Street, in Cork City, particularly Minnie Roche, and whoever might have lived there with her.  Thanks a bunch   Marge

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census lookup --Cork City
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi I will do this look for you if you still need it

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 07 02:03 BST (UK) »
I would still like to have it.  Thank you very much for your offer.  Do you think you could do another one also??  One for Cornelius Kelleher??  They lived at 2 Fair Hill in November of 1902, and were at Kerry Hall Terrace in 1899.  Thank you for whatever you might come up with.  Marge

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 07 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Marge,

I don't have access to the census details, but I know that area of Cork very well.  Kerry Hall and No. 2 Fair Hill would just be a stone's throw from each other.  The site of No. 2 is more than likely gone now as a road was built through the section where those houses used to be, but I remember them well (although I'm *only* in my 40s!)

C

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply re: Kerry Hall and Fair hill.  I'm trying to find my elusive Roche family members who lived in that area.   The Kelleher family married into the Roche family when Cornelius Kelleher married Mary Roche, in 1896.  They had at least four children, Ellen, Michael, John, and Ann.  I was hoping that if I could find the Kellehers --maybe they could help me out with finding the remaining Roche members.  Wishful thinking???   Thanks again   Marge

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if you know Cork at all, but all three sites you mention are very near each other.  I was up in Blarney St on Friday night, actually, on a brief visit back home.  Fair Hill and Blarney st are only about 2-3 mins walk from each other.  I was talking to my Dad over the weekend- he grew up just off Blarney Street, and he remembered that everyone in the area had bird cages hanging outside their front doors, so that in the evening and morning you heard one enormous birds' chorus.  By all accounts, the community spirit was wonderful and I know that everyone knew everyone else.  I grew up on Fair Hill.  Undoubtedly people would still remember who lived where, even as far back as 1902.  I was speaking to a woman in one of the lanes near Blarney street and she was telling me that her family had lived in that house in that lane for well over 100 years.

Offline m a r g e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
That is so cool ---one day I hope to "walk the walk" as I call it ---follow in the footsteps of my grandma.  :>)  My maternal grandmother was born at 2 Brogue Market Hill, and several of her siblings were born on Blarney Street.  One of her brother's grandsons still lives in the Fairhill area.  I am having trouble finding any information out regarding the Roche family though, as not a lot of the family in Ireland, is interested in family history --they know theirs -- My cousin and I are having to search for ours.  Thanks for your interesting post though --I enjoyed reading about the bird cages and the neighbourhood closeness.  :>)  Perhaps on one of your trips to Cork, you might mention that I am looking for my grandmother's family???   Thanks very much.   Marge

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
I will do.  I will try to find out what I can on Roches of Fair Hill.  Brogue Market Hill is another place I know well...I walked down it on Friday night.  A few new houses have been built there now.  It is a very small area just at the foot of Blarney Street and the junction with Shandon Street.  You could see it fairly well on Google Earth. 

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 07 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have the same problem with my family; I am the only one interested in family history and it is very frustrating to have to drag information out of family members who know quite a lot but do not realise the value of the info they have.

I love the whole area of Blarney St, Brogue Hill, and Fair Hill.  When I was growing up, it was a magical area in which to be a child and I was steeped in the old stories and traditions of that place.  My family lived in the area and they have done so for well over 100 yrs now.  My great-great grandparents lived but a very short distance from there in the 1840s, so we have been associated with that area for a very long time.  My great-grandfather had fourteen children, and only two of them did not go on to live within a mile of Shandon Street/Blarney Street/Brogue Hill/Fair Hill for the 100 yrs + following.  All the others set up home within a mile of the area, my own grandfather and father included, and myself.  I live away from there now, but visit very regularly and had one of my many pilgrimages this weekend, where I spent a lot of time drinking in the atmosphere of that wonderful place.  It has changed a lot now, though, but in my head I still have that old geography and sense of place.  Anyone else visiting might not see what I see!