Author Topic: McKenzie - Ross & Cromarty  (Read 5713 times)

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzie - Ross & Cromarty
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace McKenzies who, according to England census records, were from Cromarty in Scotland. 

Husband's ggggrandmother was Elizabeth McKenzie born c1815 in Scotland.  According to census in the Cromarty district.  Unfortunately we have no other information to go on.  No known siblings as yet.  Her fathers name, according to her marriage certificate, was James McKenzie, occupation 'Stoneman', presumably of Cromarty as well although that is not certain.

I haven't as yet been able to find anything on this James McKenzie.

Can anyone help?

Regards, Christine.

PS if it helps, Elizabeth married a James Harris of Essex Eng. in 1844 in London.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie - Ross & Cromarty
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 06 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

And an extra special welcome from me in Ross & Cromarty  :)

I think one of these might possibly be your Elizabeth:

Baptism: 11 May 1807, Eliza d/o James Mackenzie and Margaret Bain at Cromarty

Baptism: 17th January 1815, Elizabeth d/o James Mackenzie and Margaret Barber at Ardesier.

Ardesier was in Invernessshire - just to the east of Inverness itself but directly opposite the Black Isle part of Cromarty.

See:
http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-inverness.htm

There are no other Elizabeth's with father James listed for around that time.

Hope this is of some help

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 06 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Thanks for that info.  Looking at the 2 Elizabeth's you have sent I would be inclined to go with the second (January 1815).  I guess it is entirely possible that the family may have moved to Cromarty after her birth and as she grew up in Cromarty she may have well believed that she was born there as well.  Particularly if her parents/mother were dead by the time she married. 

Question - if her father were dead when she married would his name still have been on her marriage cert?  and if so, would it not have read "James McKenzie, deceased"??

Does the record mention anything about her father James' occupation?  Of course, his occupation could have changed between her birth and marriage.....

I will see what I can find on the IGI to start with.......... but with Scots records I really have no idea where to go.

Perhaps you could provide me with some contact details in Ross/Cromarty?

Or indeed anywhere in Scotland.... :)

Thanks again,

Christine.

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 06 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Gadget,

Can you tell me if there are any other children listed for James McKenzie and Margaret Barber?

Thanks again,

Christine.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 06 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

First, there is one more child listed for James and Margaret Barber:

25 August 1810, Thomas Howard, Ardesier

Could I stress that these are baptisms from the old parish records. Official registration did not begin until 1855. Very few details are given in these. There are no occupations.

In relation to father's status on a marriage certificate: it was not always the case that deceased would be written, especially in the early records.

I think the best thing for you to do before getting started on your Scottish line is to read Pam's tutorial:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

Hope this has answered all your questions.

best wishes

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 06 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget :D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 06 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

If you use the IGI, the Batch number for Cromarty for the time period you are interested in is C110612. This shows a number of children for James Mackenzie and Margaret Bain, including an Ann born 12 Oct 1815. Either they are not Elizabeth's parents or Ann somehow becomes Elizabeth. This is not uncommon.

I still feel a bit iffy about the Ardesier one  :-\

Gadget

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 06 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Have checked the family of James and Margaret Bain..... looks close but I'm not certain of it either :D

I am also a bit iffy about the other James and Margaret.  Hmmmmm if we could find out somehow what the 2 James did for a living that might help.

Of course, if Elizabeth's mothers name had been on her marriage certificate that would be even better... but it wasn't !  :-\

Regards, Christine

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 January 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Gadget,

Not sure if I have commented on this in another thread or not... but I am inclined to believe that my Elizabeth is indeed the daughter of James McKenzie and Margaret Bain, that is, the one baptised 11/05/1807.  Also (not sure if I mentioned this either) it may be that Elizabeth was not entirely truthful about her age to her husband or family etc either as her age seems to differ quite a bit throughout census records and on her MI and also anecdotally through suspect family stories. 

I have looked at the SP record for Elizabeth's baptism and it looks like 'Eliza' but could easily have been Elizabeth...

LOL I do vaguely recall discussing this in another thread on this site.. please feel free to laugh at me and say "yup you did you silly goose"  :)

My only excuse is that it's been such a long time since I have visited this site....

Ciao!! Chris.