Author Topic: London Irish Rifles Sgt Stripes help  (Read 6518 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Irish Rifles Sgt Stripes help
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi my grandad was with the London Irish Rifles, he was a Sgt then went on to be Company Sgt Major.

I am trying to buy the Stripes and the crown he would have worn.

I am unsure of the Sgt Stripes, dad said they were very dark green almost black, can any confirm or attach a pic please?

I know the CSM Crown I need is Kings Crown, but cannot find on for sale.

We are planning to visit the London Irish Rifles Museum in two weeks, doe's anyone know if they have a shop there?

Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: London Irish Rifles Sgt Stripes help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Pettsy, not answering your question unfortunately but my Grandfather was in the 2/18th London Irish Rifles which lot are you interested in. I am trying to find anyone looking into 2/18th as I have a photo. Julie
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I just asked my dad, and yes he said his dad was in the 2/18th London Irish Rifles.

Where did your grandad serve in WW2?
Mine went to Nigeria and Burma.

I would love to see you photo.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy, got our wires crossed I'm afraid my Grandad was in WW1 and I understood that they were wound up whilst he was in Jerusalem when he transferred into Royal Irish Fusiliers. Julie
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

And dad just phoned me to say his dad was in 1/18th.

May I see your photo out of interest please.
Was you father from/living in Chelsea?

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Pettsy, My Grandfather was my Mothers father and he was born in Chelsea and lived there. When he married they were living in Hammersmith, where my mum was born and then moved out to Carshalton. How do I go about sending you the photo. Can I attach it to a message? Julie

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 17:51 BST (UK) »
I will send you a PM.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pettsy

Julie

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Try www.divpatch.com they will run up a copy for you of the correct colour, size etc.

Nice people as well....And cheaper and easier than running around various websites....
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.