Author Topic: WILSHAW, Manchester  (Read 2164 times)

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WILSHAW, Manchester
« on: Saturday 13 November 04 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any info about George Wilshaw who died in 1918 in the war.  I beleive he was quite a young man who had possibly four children Stanley, nellie, George and Alec.  I believe that his wife died shortly after him and Nellie and Alec were put into Styal orphanage in Cheshire.  George was only a baby and was adopted but commited suicide as a young man.  I think that George (the elder) had siblings called Beattie and Fred and lived in the Manchester area.  I have put out several messages on the net and looked at the cenus but cannot find any information about this family.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Fiona
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Wilshaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 04 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are quite a lot of George Wilshaws on the 1901 census, do you have any idea of where he married or was born?
Post anything that may help and I will look again
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 04 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky, thanks for helping me yet again!!  I have very little info about the Wilshaw family.  His military records were destroyed in the 2nd world war and they only have his date of death.  I can only presume that he was born in the Manchester area.  Although I do know that Alec his son was born in Wigan.  This family is an enigma as I have looked 'pay for veiw' on the census but none of the searches that I have done seem to relate to this family.  Alec was my Grandfather and spent a lot of his life searching for his relatives but unfortunately did not document any of his findings.

Thanks again

Fiona

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 04 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a date of birth, or year for Alec? Just trying to narrow the years down.
Found on the Commonwealth War Grave site Georges death, 1 June 1918.
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 04 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky, yes I also found this info at the war grave site.  Alec was born in 1911.  Nellie was possibly three years younger, Stanley was the eldest and George was the youngest.  I know that my Grandad spent years tracking down George and finally found his adoptive parents but discovered that George had killed himself three months earlier.  It all seems very sad and I would love to find out more about this family.

Thanks again

Fiona

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 November 04 17:42 GMT (UK) »
If you need a GRO Index birth / marriage or Death look up for this family let me know the details and I will have a look for you next time I am in the the family history centre.................A very sad family story.  :'(

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen, that would be great!  What information would you need from me.  Unfortunately I have very little and can find nothing at all on the net.  Unfortunately mu Mum is seriously ill in hospital at the moment so the only research I can do is on the ineternet.  This web site is a breath of fresh air as I there are people, like yourself, who are willing to help.

Thanks again

Fiona

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any info about George Wilshaw who died in 1918 in the war.  I beleive he was quite a young man who had possibly four children Stanley, nellie, George and Alec.  I believe that his wife died shortly after him and Nellie and Alec were put into Styal orphanage in Cheshire.  George was only a baby and was adopted but commited suicide as a young man.  I think that George (the elder) had siblings called Beattie and Fred and lived in the Manchester area.  I have put out several messages on the net and looked at the cenus but cannot find any information about this family.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Fiona

I could look for the birth entries of the 4 possible children, do you know rough years for their births?

Also if you need the death entry for George (the one who commited suicide) or the birth entry for the father George Wilshaw.

I can only do these searches though if you have a rough year of their births/death.

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 November 04 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen, I will interrogate my Mum over the weekend and see what we come up with.  However, I think the information will still be vague and I wouldn't want to waste your time.  Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again

Fiona