Author Topic: ELLWOODS of Crosby Ravensworth..again  (Read 23055 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ellwoods of Crosby Ravensworth..again
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fay,

Just to confuse you a little I have found another William Ellwood in the 1841 census:

Maulds Meaburn, Dryevers

Thomas Ellwood 55 Farmer
Mary Ellwood 35
William Ellwood 55
Frances Ellwood 8
Sarah Ellwood 6
Margaret Ellwood 4
Mary Ellwood 2
Margaret Harefield 15 FS

All born in county.

As the eldest daughter is called Frances could Thomas be the son of William & Frances and William is Thomas' brother??!! This would confirm that your William is not the son of William & Frances.

In 1851 Thomas & family are living in MM, Roans Farm, but William is not with them. Thomas' place of birth is MM & is 70yrs. He is still going strong in 1861 aged 80 now living Lankabar MM!

Any thoughts?

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes Gillian, I think I'm probably right with the parents I've already got, as there's no Frances/Francis's in my family, although I do have Thomas's (then hasn't everyone) so it goes like this.

Joshua Elwood,Morland and Mary Lunsen,1722,Kirkland, Cumberland
William Elwood 1769 from CR, Shap and Eliz. Mattison from CR
William Ellwood,1795,CR and Ann Rigg,1801,CR
Jonathan Ellwood,1824,Morland and Jane Collinson,1834,Middleton Teesdale

Gillian, I think we'll have to take every Ellwood from the Parish/Registers/census and try to sort the families out........mind boggling!!
Is your tree sorted yet, did you find a previous marriage for John?

I'll have to get back to my Riggs sometime, seeing as you gave me that info.

Thanks for that.

Fay
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fay,

A contact from GenesReunited is researching John Ellwood b1826 Morland. She has him married to Elizabeth Dawson 1/7/1858 Old Hutton.

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Helene hanff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ELLWOODS of Crosby Ravensworth..again
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 January 08 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Gt gt Gdfather is John Ellwood married to Elizabeth Hastwell.  According to the birth cert, there son (1) William was born on 18 Apr 1863. Jonathan Ellwood and Jane Collinson's son William was born on 09 May 1863 again according to birth cert.  They were both registered at Middleside Middleton. (1)William Ellwood married Jane Wilkinson on 24 Dec 1889 and the marriage solemnized at parish church in parish of Lynesack in the county of Durham
 William Ellwood 26 bachelor Locomotive fireman Butterknowle Lynesack father John Ellwood Plate layer
Jane Wilkinson 22 spinster Butterknowle Lynesack William Wilkinson Locomotive fireman

I hope this is of some help I don't know if you are still interested. I found your messages fascinating. What other info have you about Joshua Ellwood who you mentioned died in 1791. Have you found any web sites for the Westmorland area that you would recommend.

Regards
Rosemary

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 January 08 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary ....... yes, I'm always interested.
Thankyou for the exact birthdates of the two 'Williams' and John's marriage date to Jane Wilkinson.

After Elizabeth Hastwell died, I'm surprised John didn't marry her sister Isabella, she was his housekeeper for long enough.

Does your line come down from William or Isabella?   
My line comes down from Jonathan's daughter Jane.

When his father John moved to Darlington, I find it strange that William had a spell in Darlington as a dentist's assistant, then went back mining at Lynesack ......... must have been more money in mining ..... or he couldn't stand the blood ......... lol.

John died in Darlington in 1896

I haven't found anymore information on Joshua .... infact I haven't really found any more on the Ellwoods at all. .. but it's so nice to find another relative.

Keep in touch
Jean

Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Helene hanff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 January 08 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean
I also wondered why William became a dentists assistant. I also presumed that Isabella was Elizabeths sister.
My line comes through John Ellwood and his son William, I must admit I find the William Ellwoods confusing.
I did go to Shap and have a walk around I also went to Melkinthorpe as I was interested in that area.
I do have a photo taken at a christening showing William Jane and family

I must admit I would like to fill in more than the bare bones of this family
Regards
Rosemary

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 20 January 08 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Elizabeth and Isabella are at home in 1841 living at Cold Cale, Kaber, Kirby Stephen. ..Father Richard 40, widower I think, farmer
Children Agness 6, Elizabeth 4, Isabella 2.

On the 1851 census Richard had remarried.

There is another family in Kirby Stephen, a Robert Hastwell 30 butcher, wife Sarah 27, children Robert 8, Isabella 6, Elizabeth 4, Sarah 2. ...  but the elizabeth and Isabella ages are the wrong way round, so I would think Richard is the father..... Robert is probably his brother..

I was round Crosby Ravensworth last year, there's some Ellwood headstones in the churchyard.  I haven't much on John or William, ...I only really followed Jonathan and Jane Collinson.

I'd love to see the photograph of William  .... I haven't any Ellwood photographs.  If I PM you with an email address will you send it.

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 January 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

I don't know if you've already got all this ...but never mind.

Richard Hastwell baptised K. Stephen 6.4.1806 to Robert hastwell and Isabella Frankland.

Richard married Sarah Morland in KS on 1.11.1832 then married margaret cooper in KS on 4.7.1846.

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline Helene hanff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 26 January 08 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I've not back sooner. Thanks for new info. Yes I will send you the photos just let me know your email address.
Regards
Rosemary