Author Topic: "bear share" help  (Read 3574 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
"bear share" help
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I don't know whether this is the right place,but I need some advice,I used to have bear share untill a couple of weeks a go, I uninstalled it,due to getting a couple of trojans,(I don't know if bear share was the culprit),any way Iv'e decided to download it again,"wow" where has it gone?? they want my photo,my location,Iv'e got little boxes popping up from "asian stud" bigboy" ,Italian giggilos'.
 Can anyone point me in the right direction for an ordinary Bear share? thanks .Oonagh.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: "bear share" help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi oonagh

I'll take a wild guess and suggest you try this link:

http://www.bearshare.com/

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 15:51 GMT (UK) »
If you're using any kind of file sharing services please help protect yourself by making sure your anti-virus is completely up-to-date and is fully enabled while using such services.

After each session I advise you to run your anti-virus scanning your computer for anything that shouldn't be there.

I'm pretty sure you can point the finger at Bear Share for the trojans but its impossible to be 100% certain.

If you keep getting pestered with pop-ups (like when opening a new browser window) then PM me your MSN and I'll clean your PC for you.
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Downside and Zeb,
                               thanks so much for replies,Iv'e been googling like mad, and found a site with old versions of bearshare ,Iv'e downloaded one of them. Just one more question, clicking on "search" brings Google up, and  bearshares logo,I know I'm being niggardly, but how do I get rid of it,the bar says bearshare as well.thanks .Oonagh.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 06 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh No,
           Iv'e messed about trying to get rid of the bear logo,out of the search box,and all Iv'e got now is the micro soft dog asking me what files I want to search for,help.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 06 18:01 GMT (UK) »
done it ,back to normal,thank goodness.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi oonagh

I doubt very much if you are truely back to normal.  Bear share is considered to be spyware so everything you look at or download is probably being recorded somewhere.

I would get hold of a free copy of NoAdware and run a scan of your PC to see just how infected it is.

I discovered an entry in my Registry for Bear Share and I do not have it installed.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Downside,
                    I have had "LImewire" for two weeks,and touch wood,there has'nt been any "threats".Thanks a lot.Oonagh.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The trouble with shareware is that you allow files access to your computer. But there are some nasty people out there, and although the file you download might be labelled "The Sound of Music", it might be a virus.

You need to check the the file seems about the right size. Also of lots of files the same size.

Or better yet, buy music and DVD from a shop and don't pirate it!  ;)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk