Author Topic: A BLEWETT Crossover or just a mix up...  (Read 4350 times)

Offline cornishpixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A BLEWETT Crossover or just a mix up...
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone after an evenings looking through our mountain of paperwork me and my dad have come up with a couple of questions we hope you can help us with,

we have the names John Wilkins born 1769 and Joan Blewett born 1766 (ish)
they had 4 children.
William Wilkins 1792
Mary Wilkins 1796
John Wilkins 1808
Stephen BLEWETT 1811 !!!!! (very puzzled!)

all the children were christened at Paul church in Cornwall .

and then Stephen Blewett Married a Jane Carne  who went onto have our
James Blewett in 1849

James is the chap who married Eliza Jane ...

We are interested in filling in the gaps on this side of the family because they are direct desendants through blood rather than just through marraige if that makes sence . The gap we have goes from 1811 until 1849 ! what happened to everyone inbetween?

Eliza's First Marriage was to Stephen Blewett Wilkins born 1860 .... his father was Richard Blewett but we have Richards parents down on one part of the tree as Stephen Blewett and Jane Carne! ...

But yet they go down two seperate families totally! can anyone shed any light ? as we are slowly going mad!

Ever Hopeful Kirsty and Tom xx
My Names are Stewart, Blewett, Launder, Grenfell <br /><br />areas include Penzance st Just Pendeen Newlyn and PLymouth

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blewetts revisited ,....
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Occupations: particularly if there was an occupation that got passed down through the family a lot.  Seamen (merchant or navy) can be further researched; some occupations are strongly linked to a certain location, like my Furse family who were fishermen in Mevagissy for many generations (aka 'Fishygissy'!)  For miners, you might want to check out which were the local mines, if there were any major accidents while your family were working in the area, etc.  For farmers you might be able to find where the land that they farmed was.

Places: Find out about the places they lived; addresses, houses, reputation of the area, events.  There was a Cholera epidemic in 1849 in Mevagissey; I can link this to a death of one of my relatives at the time.  The area was evacuated and many people had to live in temporary dwellings until the epidemic passed - tents at Portmellon!  In another case, while scrolling through burials at Truro, I found a smallpox epidemic in the mid 1700s - many deaths were marked to show which ones were from smallpox.  Two adults noted as being from outside the area probably brought the disease to the town, but the vast majority of those who died were children - although none of mine were among the dead, you can imagine how frightening such an epidemic could be for the local people.

Also try http://www.a2a.org.uk/ for other 'interesting' tidbits.  One of my Furses was paid money for 'presenting and convicting' one Humphrey Smith of felony (he'd stolen goods from Peter Furse).  Another ancestor, on a different line, was whipped in Truro for an unspecified offense (probably theft).  One of the best ways to search, I've found is to use the format:

Surname NEAR10 Placename, so Blewett NEAR10 Truro should bring up all the Blewetts with some connection to Truro, for example.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Blewett Crossover or just a mix up...
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Kirsty and Tom,Where was Stephen Blewett Wilkins b-1860 Elizas first husband born and are you sure his Father was Richard ?

Off Cornwall OPC Site Marriages
Stephen Blewett Wilkins m Jane Carne in Paul on 26th Oct 1834 witnesses John Yeoman and Richard Pentreath.

What i think youre saying is Eliza first married Stephen Blewett Wilkins then married Stephens Uncle James Blewett born 1849(Brother of Richard)if youve gone back correctly.Am i right?
Have you dates of marriages?

Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline cornishpixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Blewett Crossover or just a mix up...
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hey thankyou for replying, This mystery has been ongoing for a while hope this info helps a little

Stephen Blewett Wilkins b-1860 was born in St Just and lived in Bosorne with his Father Richard Blewett b-1835 and Elizabeth Jane Grenfell b-1833

Stephen and ELiza Married on 8th August 1882 .... she was also living in St Just
Married in Penzance.

the thing that puzzles us is that Stephen Blewett Wilkins family has been easy ish to trace back. (but were not directly descended from him)

so looking for more background from Elizas Second Marriage? to James Blewett b-1849

His parents were Stephen Blewett b-1812 and Jane Carne b-1814.
Stephen Blewett b- 1812 his parents were names
John Wilkins b-      and Joan Blewett

We know further down the line stephen has used his mothers surname Blewett
But why?

and also it seems that the Stephen Blewett Wilkins born 1860 father richard .. somehow crosses over into the other family ... but were not sure how?

and also what or who!  fills the gap between 1812 and 1849 !!!

Thanks for all your help (sorry about the long reply)
here hoping Kirsty and Tom

My Names are Stewart, Blewett, Launder, Grenfell <br /><br />areas include Penzance st Just Pendeen Newlyn and PLymouth