Author Topic: How to find an owner of a property in Scotland  (Read 2191 times)

Offline CathyN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find an owner of a property in Scotland
« on: Monday 13 November 06 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am new to this site, and may I firstly congratulate the the owners - I have looked around and it looks like a really most informative site!!!  Thank you for letting me join.

I have only recently started researching my Scotish relatives who left England and went to South Africa in the 1880's.  When my great grandmother, Mary Philip died in July 1933 in Harrismith, South Africa, it was noted in her will that she had a certain interest in:  a free standing cottage called Deveronside, Banff, Scotland ...... now my question is:  How do I find out who this cottage initially belonged to ....... I have an idea it might have belonged to her mother ....... Ann Clayton - also out of a will, but I'm not sure of this, and unfortunately no mention was made whose estate the property belonged to in Mary's estate papers.........

Any help would be most sincerely appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: HOW TO FIND AN OWNER OF A PROPERTY IN SCOTLAND
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 06 21:42 GMT (UK) »
If there was indeed a will, it will be listed in the annual calendars of confirmations. These are large printed book, and there are copies in various libraries including the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, and West Lothian Archives. There is an online index to Scottish wills 1530-1901, but it does not list your Ann Clayton.

If her mother was the proprietor, there would be a record of the change of ownership in the Registers of Sasines. These are held in the National Archives of Scotland. In the absence of a will this ought to be the easiest way to find out, but you will need to get an Edinburgh-based searcher unless you can go to Edinburgh yourself.

The other method is to look in the valuation rolls. These list each property with the name of the proprietor, the tenant and the occupier, insofar as they are not one and the same person, and the rateable value of the property. Moray Local Heritage Centre has copies of the VRs for Banffshire from around 1930. However the lists are arranged in an arcane order, within parishes, so it could be quite a long job to find the right Deveronside (I would think there could be quite a few houses with the same name).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: How to find an owner of a property in Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 07 10:40 BST (UK) »
The principle record of ownership of a property is recorded in the Sasines which are not yet available online.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,26232.0.html#

has more information on sasines

PS Welcome to Rootschat