Author Topic: SS Aliwal....to Natal 1849.  (Read 4760 times)

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SS Aliwal....to Natal 1849.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 09:47 GMT (UK) »

Hi Mole.....

Thank you for the details on the NA site for South Africa. There are lots that also mention W.E Robarts. Interestingly he became involve with land as one of his relitives over here became an estate agent and surveyor.

The site is an excellent one and I have been busy reading 70 hits for Robarts alone.
 The Aliwal arrival account has details on a John Palmer and family (well I have Palmers ) so a little bit of digging for me as well.

Have already had a look at Shelagh site and yes along way to go before "R" but it will follow on. Not sure about the book so will ring the library to see if there is a copy around but I am now interested so I know my friend will be.

Thank you again for the help and advice I shall certainly pass all on to my friend who will be so pleased .

I have indexed almost all her "family " back to @1740 and she cannot believe how far they have spread over the years.

Family history...Great eh ;D

Best wishes

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paula Robarts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tazzie

I am a Robarts.  Was busy googling my great grandfather William Emery Robarts and stumbled upon your query.  Not sure if I can be of any help.  I am also interested in following my family history :)

Paula

Offline Bazzajs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I just came across this chat. Some old stuff I had, and of no great interest to what you are discussing, but some of my ancestors (Spradbrow) were on the same voyage. One of their descendants (Ernest) became Vice Commodore of the Union Castle line. Almost none of the family left in South Africa now.