Author Topic: Granelli in Macclesfield  (Read 24198 times)

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Granelli in Macclesfield
« on: Wednesday 15 November 06 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for information about Agostino Granelli who lived at 18 Catherine Street, Macclesfield certainly in the year 1918, and probably before and after that as well.  Agostino had a daughter Millieta.  I know this because I have a copy of a postcard sent to them from his brother, my great grandfather Camillo Granelli, during World War 1.  Agostino was likely born  about 1880 in Santa Maria del Taro in Italy and his  parents are Francisco Granelli and Maria de Lucchi.  There may be a connection to the Granelli family who made ice cream.  This is all I know.  Can anyone please help me find out more? 

Nina

CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Granelli in Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nina
I dont know if you have heard of the The historical directories.Which are on line,Unfortunatly Cheshire itself is very sparse.I did look in the couple available no Granelli surnames at all in the 1914 directory.That is not to say there wasnt any,if they were boarding with someone,family,friends.They wont be on the Surename index,i looked under occupations and other things,but  nothing.However the Directory for 1902 gives
Granelli.Angelo. Confectioner 33 Church Street Macclesfield
The only one in the whole book so might be yours.Our library has the directories for Cheshire not the full set unfortunatly,but if you would like me to see if i can find any Grannelli's let me know.
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nina

Although I don't know the family personally, I do know of them as do most folk who originate from Macclesfield, the family are indeed famous for their Ice Cream.

If you see the 1901 census for Macclesfield at http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=7814&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

It is free to search at the moment, just type in the surname Granelli and Macclesfield in the correct boxes, all the results belong to the same family.

Also if you go to http://www.b4usearch.com/index.cfm and search the name Peter Granelli it will bring up his address. Also do the same for a Peter Devoti another family member who now runs the Granelli ice cream business in Macclesfield. Peter is quite used to people asking about the Granelli's as he also looks after a small museum they have in Macclesfield, mostly ice cream making machines and old carts and vans.

I have recently seen a picture of Peter Granelli in his school days, he was in the same class as my sister-in-law.

If you need any more info please ask, but I am sure if contact one of the two Peters they will be able to sort you out.

Please let us know how you get on

good luck

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nina

You beat me to it Peter ;D I have been on Ancestry as well,There are 13 people in the household.A brother is down as Angela.He was born in Italy others were born In Maccklesfield.I also included in the search overseas? record which gave Passenger lists. They give a number of Granelli's,but they went to America from Italy but in later years.There are also some that lived in different counties in England.I will leave you to your searching,Good luck.
I thought i had heard the name Granelli before,nobody makes Ice cream like the Italians do they ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 06 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Celia

I thought i had heard the name Granelli before,nobody makes Ice cream like the Italians do they

To true !  when comes to Ice Cream they can't be licked  ::)  ::)  8)
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
To true !  when comes to Ice Cream they can't be licked 
Oh Peter you smoothie  :D  I agree there is no ice cream to top it...I've just come back from Wilmslow and we take Mum to Redesmere where they always have a Granelli van, and it's 99's with cherry syrup all round.

Nina,
My niece's partner is Paul Granelli, if that is of any help.

Su

Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 06 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Wow thanks for the replies everyone!  I also have a request for inforamtion at ancestry.com, in case anyone was wondering...seems to me not a lot of people there visit these message boards.

My Agostino and my great grandfather Camillo Granelli seem to have come to the UK after 1901 as I have searched the censuses in England and Scotland to no avail.  I am sure there will be a family connection to the ice cream Granelli family..it is finding the link that is elusive!  Thanks also to celia for all that searching you did for me.

Peter,  I would love to be able to have contact with a Macclesfield Granelli who might know of Agostino and his daughter Milietta, and perhaps my great grandfather Camillo too.  I would appreciate anything you could do.  I am also trying to contact some family members with the help of a researcher called Colin Bearsfield, who has been terrific.

Wow Su, another Granelli!  I hope I get this sorted out...it would be wonderful to be able to say one way or another if there is a connection.

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 06 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nina

If you know for definate that your "Granelli's" were living in Catherine Street Macclesfield in 1918 then I have no doubt that they are related to the present day Granelli's in Macclesfield.

I will send you an address for them by P.Message, and would suggest you write to one or both I am quite sure they will have no objections to your asking of them.

Also found this interesting website page that mentions the Granelli's
http://www.italian-heritage-ancoats.org.uk/italart2.htm

peterbennett

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks for the replies everyone!  I also have a request for inforamtion at ancestry.com, in case anyone was wondering...seems to me not a lot of people there visit these message boards.

My Agostino and my great grandfather Camillo Granelli seem to have come to the UK after 1901 as I have searched the censuses in England and Scotland to no avail.  I am sure there will be a family connection to the ice cream Granelli family..it is finding the link that is elusive!  Thanks also to celia for all that searching you did for me.

Peter,  I would love to be able to have contact with a Macclesfield Granelli who might know of Agostino and his daughter Milietta, and perhaps my great grandfather Camillo too.  I would appreciate anything you could do.  I am also trying to contact some family members with the help of a researcher called Colin Bearsfield, who has been terrific.

Wow Su, another Granelli!  I hope I get this sorted out...it would be wonderful to be able to say one way or another if there is a connection.

Nina

nina

sometimes when we pass through Macclesfield we stop off for lunch at Arigi Bianchi store for lunch  Lovely place!!! then on the way home we go to buy ice cream to take home from an Italian ice creamshop not sure of thename but I will certainly take more notice next time we pop in !!!!
Erin :o :o
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.