Author Topic: MacLeod family Stornoway  (Read 27349 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod family Stornoway
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

Before you start your research, you should have a look at these links here on RootsChat which explain what is available and also how to maximise your use of Scotlands People, the official pay to view site for BMDs post 1855 and Censuses:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

In respect of IGI, it stands for International Genealogical Index available free on Family Search at www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Good luck with your research!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louise

It's a pleasure to help  especially in an area I know quite well  :) 

28 Bulnacraig is most likely a croft number. These really confuse people no end, especially those telephone sales people who say 'you have been chosen from everyone in your street'  ;D ;D ;D. I have a 3 digit number as part of my address and we live in the middle of nowhere.

Crofts were allocated and numbered by crofting 'township'. The numbers started at 1 and went up to however many crofts there were and spread over a large area - e.g the next number after us is 3 miles away!

If your mother does take a trip to Stornoway, try to come up in May/June then the machair (sandy strands)  on the West side of Lewis/Harris is at it's best with wonderful wild flowers the weather is usual very good and the days are long.

Gadget  :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
My Nan Flora Macleod with husband Fred Woodroff enjoying a wee dram while back visiting Stornoway.
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:14 GMT (UK) »
My Nan (center) with either friends or family?
My Nan with possibly her mother Annie Macleod?
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh these are wonderful pictures, Louise. It's really lovely to see people to go with the records.

Interestingly, the 'wee' Frees, although really dour and strict in most aspects of life, did enjoy their drams - males and females alike  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I thought it might be good to put a few pics on. I just wish like many others that i could be able to sit with my nan now and find out who the others are.

I love looking at old pictures and have recently found a book my nan either got on her last trip to Stornoway or someone kindly sent down to her.
It's called EILEAN AN FHRAOICH annual and is dated December 1977 price 60p & its front cover picture is of Cromwell street, Stornoway on market day in the 1920's.

8) :)

Louise x

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I`think Fhraoich is a sprig of heather in Gaelic, Louise. I'll have to check. So the book would translate as Island of heather  :)

Gadget

Just checked  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh and my favorite saying from my Nan was always,  "It's a broad bright moon light night tonight", but when she said it she could say it correctly and i used to get her to say it over & over again.
Ah treasured Memories  :)

Offline Dianes daughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 December 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I am still trying to trace my mother Diane Leslie Macleod prior to 1929, she was also from Stornoway.  So many Macleods.
I wish you great success in your quest

Dianes Daughter