Author Topic: Emigration to New York c 1909  (Read 2510 times)

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Emigration to New York c 1909
« on: Sunday 14 November 04 09:30 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather and his family emigrated from Manchester to New York around 1909, returing to UK pre 1914 as they didn't like the life there

Does one know where I might find their records

Also my Grandfather aged around 14 had to work on the construction of the Long Island Tunnels and was horrified at what happened to some of the work force. He told his family that men who died whilst working in the tunnels were often walled up inside

Can anyone recommend any literature on the Tunnel constuction?

Thanks

Gill
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration to New York c 1909
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Ellis Island web site? Ellis Island is where many immigrants came to the US and were processed.  It is free to register and you can view the records.  It is located in NY.

www.ellisislandrecords.org  (I think this is the correct address)  You can put in your search terms.  Records start in 1892.
Good Luck- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive