Author Topic: Gravestones  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Amanda Melanie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gravestones
« on: Thursday 16 November 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
HI,
Dilemma over ages and dates!!
GGF Jenkin Davies
DOB 13/08/1858 (Family Bible) Not sure who wrote the entries as Catharine couldnt write. You'd think he'd know his own birthday!!
Death certificate aged 59 yrs (25/12/1917) Registered by a nephew (??Could have guessed at age)
Gravestone    61 yrs (LLangeitho)

The other ages on the grave stone for his wife son and daughter are all correct, his wife Catharine having been buried after him.

How safe is it to assume that the gravestone has the correct age? Add to this that an elderly cousin thinks he was 56 when he died you can see my confusion. If I cant find how old he was I cant find his birth. There are NO Jenkin Davies for Sept qtr 1858 and I have checked all other possibilites in the Aberystwyth,Aberayron and Tregaron areas.for other qtrs and years.

Just don't know which way to go now. Any help much appreciated
Amanda

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestones
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does Jenkin davies have any brothers/sisters, check their dates birth also check census records, these record ages are often out by several years, but if you can trace him on census you can see what age he is given every ten years this can often helps to get an avarge age.
just a thought.
His nephew may have thought his age was 59yrs but who ordered the grave stone maybe another relative who thought he was older.
Also how are you so sure he was born in that area often what we think we know is not right, unless it states it in  the bible and census records.
cheers cardiff
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 06 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Further to the above - what about marriage records?

More reliable than death ages, although sometimes exaggerated either to make the couple older or to make their ages 'match'.

The marriage would also provide a father's name and occupation (hopefully) which would allow you to check that census records match.

Do you have any or all of these?  We might be able to help check.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Amanda Melanie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 06 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cardiff and Arranroots,
Jenkin was married to Catharine Williams(born 26/09/1851...birth cert,of Rhydfydr,Lledrod) on 10/03/1882) Her address is given as Goyallt(a farm...Gwynfil,Llangeitho) where she worked as a servant aged 29
Jenkins address is Dolau Aeron(another farm nearby..occupation farm servant) and his age is given as 24. They were married at Bettws Leiki(Leucu) Jenkins father was also a Jenkin Davies (occ.Ag Lab)
I have found a possibility on the 1861 census but the parents are not there,only the Grandparents(David Davies 1790..Cilcennin.
Another possible is one in Llanon. THis has a father called Jenkin, a sister called Mary which I know he had from family history,and the fathers occupation is carpenter but by the time of the 1881 census has changed to agricultural labourer. BUT the DOB is November 1860!! This is also in the area where 'Mary Llanon' ie Jenkins sister is known to have lived.And there is also talk of a 'Mangee Pennant' Pennant seems to be a village not far from Llanon.
My gut feeling is that this is the right one apart from the fact that November is nothing like August! I can understand getting the date or year wrong but not the month.
I have put a thread on Genes trying to track down information regarding Mary's children as this is the most fresh in older family members minds.
Is the date in the Bible just a red herring???
Jenkin is not at  home for the 1891 or 1901 census but I think I have found him
1881 working on a farm Tyndolau,Llangeitho aged 32
1901 working as a coliry timberman in Llanwanno,Glamorgan. This ties in with family history of him staying with relatives and working as a pitpropman.Only states he was born in Cardiganshire
Any help and bright ideas will be very much appreciated!!!!!
Thanks
Amanda