Author Topic: my 105yrs old grandmothers ww1 waac service record  (Read 4161 times)

Offline ian.h

• I have turned off all notification of new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
my 105yrs old grandmothers ww1 waac service record
« on: Friday 17 November 06 03:50 GMT (UK) »
hi all,  my grandmother violet rosina borlase (her maiden name) is 106yrs old in january and we have been told by the world war one veterans association she may be the only known living woman left to have served  in the waac in ww1,  we have been trying find her army service records but sadly it looks like her records were lost in the blitz's and was not one of the 7,000 records saved on the waac in ww1, we have tried the national archive and the waac association  but with no luck, is there any other places i could look for her records?
 the ww1 veterans association  have been most helpful trying to find any info on her and they  ask if she would like to come to london one day soon and meet a very very special lady if they could arrange it  ;)
 the daily paper in south wales did a story of her time in  london in the first world war a few weeks back and took a nice photo of her and my dad,  
 if any one would like to read it pm  me your email address and il email you a copy of it. many thanks if you can help
atb ian. h
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
cullwick Birmingham-newport
smart -bristol
vaughan- hereford- newport
bennett-bristol-newport

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: my 105yrs old grandmothers ww1 waac service records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 06 04:52 GMT (UK) »

Hi Ian !

Where was Violet born ? was she from Cornwall too ?? and did she have another name that she went by ........ ?

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: my 105yrs old grandmothers ww1 waac service record
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 06 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I have no clue, but I do hope your gran gets to meet that very very special lady in London - who perhaps had a mother of similar vintage until relatively recently?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline ian.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 06 06:02 GMT (UK) »
hi annie,
thanks for the reply, violet was born in bristol in 1900 and moved to newport when she was 4mths old, ref the other name no annie.
when she was in the waac in ww1 she was working in the hotels in London looking after the boys and can still remember the zeppelin raids.
atb ian
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
smart -bristol
bennett-bristol-newport

Offline ian.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 06 06:25 GMT (UK) »
hi loo, 
i hope she can meet her to, it was a bit of a shock when the man from the veterans association phoned the other night and suggested it, we will have to keep her off the Guinness that day ;D.
atb ian
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
smart -bristol
bennett-bristol-newport

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 06 07:54 GMT (UK) »
we will have to keep her off the Guinness that day .

Lol Ian, my old gran swore by her half pint of Guiness a day, she sadly died just short of her 100th birthday, hmmm think I'll pop off to the off-licence later ;D

I do hope your Gran gets to make that trip to London, what an amazing lady she must be, you must be so proud  :D

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 06 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Ian

As her record is not in the surviving 7000 QMAAC/WAAC files, there is nowhere else that the information would be found.  The only tiny chance of finding anything else is within the Imperial War Museum's 'Women, War and Society' collection.  It needs to be accessed at the IWM, and is fully searchable via their internal online database, and although it may be unlikely for her name to show up, if she can remember some of the names of the places that she worked, it may be possible to build up a fuller picture of what she did during the war.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 06 11:56 GMT (UK) »
hi all,  my grandmother violet rosina borlase (her maiden name) is 106yrs old in january and we have been told by the world war one veterans association she may be the only known living woman left to have served  in the waac in ww1,  we have been trying find her army service records but sadly it looks like her records were lost in the blitz's and was not one of the 7,000 records saved on the waac in ww1, we have tried the national archive and the waac association  but with no luck, is there any other places i could look for her records?
 the ww1 veterans association  have been most helpful trying to find any info on her and they  ask if she would like to come to london one day soon and meet a very very special lady if they could arrange it  ;)
 the daily paper in south wales did a story of her time in  london in the first world war a few weeks back and took a nice photo of her and my dad,  
 if any one would like to read it pm  me your email address and il email you a copy of it. many thanks if you can help
atb ian. h
looks like theres going to be two special ladies in london that day,fantastic,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline ian.h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 06 20:21 GMT (UK) »
thanks manmack for the reply it would be the proudest day of my life if my grandmother could meet her and have a chat about things

hi sue, thanks for the info about the iwm,we have been trying to get as much info of violet about her time in London in ww1 , names of hotels where she was posted etc.

hi suey,violet loves the Guinness and haves a glass every night before bed with out fail in the nursing home were she lives and god help the staff if they are late with it,she may be 105 but she got a wicked tongue on her.

iv been trying to post  the story/image of her and my dad in the paper on  this post but i just cant work out how to do it (me and computers don't get on)
is there any nice person i could email it to and then to post it for me on here for me  please.
atb ian
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
smart -bristol
bennett-bristol-newport