Author Topic: ADDICOAT family name?.......  (Read 13604 times)

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ADDICOAT family name?.......
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 December 13 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
The earliest we can go back is to this Addicoat family of 6....the members are:

Prudence b 1640 married a Rawlin
Henry 1647-1714 married Dorothy
William b 1655 married Susan (this is my ancestor)
Paskow 1649-1721 married Elizabeth
John b 1651 married Tamsen
Richard b 1653 married Dorothy

They all married in St Buryan...and in the church yard there, a few Addicoat graves with the family 'crest' of a round stone combined with a cross...

Where are you writing from? Are you over in England?

Tunya, Just had a look at mine and William and Susan is my direct line ancestor as well. ;D

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Tunya,
Here's an idea out of left field
a de cote - French translation - To side of.
England is to the side of France???

The 'e' becomes a 'y' - adycote, and from then on, you can get any of the different spellings that we've come across.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Way out in left field. ;)

Beside (to the side of) = à côté de, côté being pronounced ko-tay. (Bilingual Canadian here!)

A de cote would mean something like "has rib" or "has dimension". If it meant anything, which it really doesn't. ;)

I've been doing YDNA analyses of both sides of my family. After discovering that my gr-grfather was really born a Hill, I thought my job was done. Turns out that genetically he is a Hore, or Hoar, or Hoare. What is the origin of that name? Wise grey-bearded elder, from the dictionary definition of "hoar" (e.g. hoar frost)? That's a prevailing theory and I think it's silly, since there are separate and unrelated Hore/Hoar/Hoare families. How about: they were mining folk in Cornwall, so they're named for the copper oar (which is how the name is pronounced)? On my other side, feeling secure in my trail of parish records back to the 1500s, I've just discovered that my best genetic matches are with a family called Weedon, a name that appears nowhere in my tree or in the vicinity of my ancestors' stomping grounds. Were they weedy-looking people? I guess it comes from the name of the place in Buckinghamshire. Where did it get its name? Ah ... from the Anglo-Saxon words for temple and hill. Haha, and I thought the Hill was on the other side of my family!

I don't place much store in potted name stories produced by scroll-selling outfits, but this one looks reasonable to me, given that we are actually talking about Devon/Cornwall in your family's case.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Addicote

Recorded in a number of spellings including Addicott, Addicote, Addeycott, Edicot, Adiscot, and Adacot, this is an English locational surname, from the village of Addiscott, in the county of Devon. The village name is of Olde English pre 7th century origins and derives it is said from 'Aeddi', a male personal name of that period, plus 'cott', a house with about four acres of land, enough to raise a family upon. An alternative suggestion is that the village name is descriptive and means 'at the cott', which is also quite a logical explanation. ...

So ... Eddie's Farmhouse. ;)

I would settle on that one if I were you! And that will be what the Lordship of Addiscote you can buy cheap relates to, I imagine. The sale details specify that it is in the parish of South Tawton, and Addiscott shows on the map here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/place/Addiscott_in_Devon_377611_04611.htm

Addiscott Estate, Addiscott Farm, and Addiscott Home Farm, right by Addiscott Cross that you mentioned earlier, just west of Okehampton. Perhaps the family took the place name with them when they branched out from that location.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Janey, like I said, it was just an idea, but it does marry up with a Herry ADYCOT marriage mention in Cornwall in 1583.
There's also another name meaning given as 'man of the coast'.
We also have the earlier Addacott, going back to 1552 with the wifes surname being 'Sampsoun'.
Now, that could be Sampson, or it could be a french derivative.

It was just interesting that Tunya's grandmother has also heard of the French connection. Obviously a story which has travelled through the lines.
Devon is virtually next to Cornwall, so it's not inconceivable the family may have travelled from there.
Finding them is going to be the hard part. :)

Offline jenvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I also believe that the pronounciation of the name could have been A-Dis-Ko-Tay, or A-Dee-Ko-Tay. (Just from enquiries I have made from my end.)