Author Topic: HOEY/HOY + CARRICKMACROSS  (Read 4347 times)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOEY/HOY + CARRICKMACROSS
« on: Friday 17 November 06 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a link between the family surname Hoey (or Hoy) and Carrickmacross?  Two branches of my Hoy family - my great grandfather, Matthew (born 1861), and his eldest brother, Francis Joseph [1857] (both born in Sunderland) have separately passed down the rumour/legend that their family originally had a strong connection or association with Carrickmacross.  They were the sons of Patrick Hoey/Hoy (born in Ireland c. 1833 or 1834) and Ann Martin (born in Ireland c. 1834 or 1835).  Patrick's parents were Nicholas and Mary Hoey.

Indeed, one of Patrick and Ann's daughters, Ann (B. 26 September 1872), married a man from Carrickmacross in Sunderland on 30 October 1895:  James Joseph Duffy.

Griffiths' Valuation for Louth, Co. Louth (1854) lists a Nicholas Hoey living at Oaktate and Nicholas, Patrick and Thomas Hoey (possibly his sons - including the Patrick who later moved to Sunderland) living nearby at Ravanny - south-east of Carrickmacross and maybe about ten miles from the town.  This seems suspiciously close and suggests a link did exist.

If anyone can tell me about a possible link between the above people and Carrickmacross in order to verify the truth of our family legend it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, does anyone know about the survival of the relevant Catholic church registers for the appropriate church?  What was it called in the early- to mid-1800s and where might a copy of this be viewed?

Here's hoping.

JL.

Offline paddybyrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOEY/HOY + CARRICKMACROSS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
There still is Hoey living at Feahoe Carrickmacross.