Author Topic: Crofts in North uist  (Read 64914 times)

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Crofts in North uist
« on: Friday 17 November 06 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I have some info on Crofts in North uist and would be happy to share my findings with anyone who is looking for specific families of areas.

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crofts in North uist
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 06 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am just discovering my North Uist connections, so don't have too much info to share at the moment.

My main names are Macdonald and MacCorquidle/MacCorquodale and they seem to have lived in Knockintorran.  On one census, a father and son, both fishermen, are missing from the family home and I believe they are 'Visitors' in two different homes in Heisker.

Some of the family stayed on in North Uist while some moved to Glasgow in the late 1890s/early 1900s.

Any information would be most welcome.  :)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 06 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Have you located them on the heisker census?

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'd like to take you up on your offer, thanks.

I know that my Nan Alice Maclean, was from Benbecula, but her father, Alexander Maclean, was born in Hougharry, NU, circa 1847 and died South Uist in 1901. His parents are a John Maclean, and Jessie MacInnes.

Alexander married twice, his first to Catherine McCuish, in 1877, in North Uist.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. :)
Regards

McVitie.
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline landvaettir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Do you have info on crofts from Balemore, N. Uist?
Norman

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 06:22 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for places in Scotland's Western Isles on a modern map, be aware that the the Gaelic names are more commonly used there nowadays.

Western Isles: Na h-Eileanan an Iar
North Uist: Uibhist a Tuath
Benbecula: Beinn na Faoghla
Balemore: Baile Mòr - see map
Hougharry: Hogha Gearraidh - see map
Heisker or Monach Islands: Theisgeir no na h-Eileanan Monach - see map

A North Uist video clip can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3euWpdGbrJw

For the non-Gaelic speaker travelling around the Western Isles, a bilingual tourist map is useful.

ADP

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 07 12:31 GMT (UK) »
if you need any help, iv been to outer hebrides and know them well

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline MacMunks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 13:27 GMT (UK) »
In response to McVitie re Alexander MacLean B 1845

Greetings from County Cork!

Alexander MacLean was my Great Grand Father. His son John b 1877 Houghharry North Uist married Eliza Bostok 1912 in Bulawayo, Rhodesia, (Zimbabwe) and their son Alistair Charles b 1914 was my father.

I am looking for living relatives and information on descendants. Any info on the ancestors/dates etc for John b c1798 d 1855 and Janet MacInnes b? d? and m 1836.

Thank you in anticipation.

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »

Well hello to you 'cousin' MacMunks! :D

We both share the same gt grandfather but I'm guessing your a descendant of Alexander's first marriage to Catherine MacCuish?

I've done a fair amount of research on our Maclean's history and have one or two documents I've drawn up that I'd be happy to share with you. I've also got a great summary tree from a Canadian researcher, Blair Macaulay, whose roots hail from NU and I can forward you his notes on our Macleans - please send me your PM ad I'll email to you.

Kind regards

McVitie

Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)