Author Topic: 1861 Lookup Please - LEGATE  (Read 10764 times)

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Lookup Please - LEGATE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 October 08 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am interested in finding out more about the henlow leggetts, I was born as a Leggett in stevenage a direct descendant of the Henlow Leggetts. I know that George Leggett born 1797 married Charlotte and their son George borb 1833-1835 would have been my great great grandfather, can you help, regards Mary

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 October 08 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Welcome to Rootschat!

I have this line going back to c1650 in Henlow. If you wouldn't mind sending me a Personal Message with your email address I'll attach a full report on everything I know about the Henlow Legates. It's too big to post on this board. Just in case you haven't had chance to work out how to send Personal Messages, just click on "Bedfordshire Boy" on the left hand side of this message, then near the bottom of the page click on "Send this RootsChatter a personal message"

I'm also connected to Charlotte Ward via her mother, Ann Daniel, and I'll send a Daniel report as well

I'm slightly concerned as the George who was living in Stevenage from the 1871 census onwards, wife Mary Ann, for the main part gave his age as implying a birth year of 1837/8. Have you got his marriage cert showing his father as George?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 October 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi David, I don't have a copy of the birth cert, I just have the 1841 cencus info, I have tried looking up his birth but as records don't start until 1837 nothing comes up. My dad and I used to go to Henlow quite a lot when he was alive he loved going to the dogs and we used to go and play darts at the engineers arms, it seems as if he knew thats where he originated from, looking forward to hearing from you, my e mail is (*), thanks Mary

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 October 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

I know it was too early for George to have had a birth cert, but what was the detail on his marriage cert, as it will show his father's name? I've been working all morning on these Legates, as there was another George, son of Charles and Eliza born in Henlow in 1834. I've been trying to separate them without any success, but if the George who married in the first quarter 1861 to Mary Ann Young in Royston registration district, which includes Thriplow which she gave as her birthplace in subsequent censuses, has a father George, then that should clinch it. Odd that in every census he should give his age as 23-33-43-53 and his birthplace as either Henlow or Shefford.

I was born in Henlow so used to walk past the Engineers Arms each day on my way to school.

David

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 October 08 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have got the marr cert showing his father as George who was a labourer, I also found Charles son was George which confused the issue until I got the marr cert, Mary

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 October 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
Excellent! Another problem solved. Was the other George's marriage to Mary Hare?  I can't find them in any census until 1881 when George was in the Workhouse at Brentford

I'll send reports shortly

David

Offline leggett1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 October 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
hi mary and bedfordshire boy, i hope you dont mind but i too am from george and mary leggett he would be my great great great grandfather, i have information on my family tree from my aunt doris and the local museum in stevenage but dont know much on the henlow leggett's if either of you could help it would be great to know, many thanks carl leggett

Offline marynunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 October 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carl, are you one of Micks sons? I am Roys daughter and Doris is also my auntie, if you email me I will send you a copy of the paperwork that bedfordshire dave sent to me, my email addy is marynunn13athotmail.co.uk, would be interested in any info you have, thanks Mary

Offline leggett1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 October 11 13:30 BST (UK) »

Hi Mary, sorry, i said to mum i did'nt know if it was you or not! im Dennis's son,how are you? Ive had a family tree in place for years now which all started when i went through hundreds of old photos my dad had including grandads royal navy photos , aunt doris helped with what she knew and the rest from photos etc.  i always knew we were an old town family but didnt know how to get back to the henlow connection and i didnt know how long we had been in stevenage. I wanted to see if i could go back futher as ive got kids now and thought it would be nice for them as there doesnt seem to be many leggett's around these days!! i see uncle mick and jenny, and went up to Norfolk to see uncle mick about a year ago.
That would be great if you could send me the information you have, il go through what i have and send it over to you

nice to hear from you and thanks

carl