Author Topic: Miss Agnes Crosbie, Kirkudbright  (Read 2732 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Miss Agnes Crosbie, Kirkudbright
« on: Friday 17 November 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Crosbie was a survivor of the Lusitania disaster.  The Lusitania passenger manifest lists her as traveling home to Scotland to visit relatives.  In 1915 she is listed as a passenger travelling from Liverpool to New York on the SS St. Paul.  Her age is 24, she is a domestic servant, living and working in Wilmette U.S.A.  Also on the passenger manifest,  is an address for a relative,  John Crosbie, 31, High St. Kirkudbright.

I would like to establish if she is a relative of mine.  Her year of birth must be 1891,  John Crosbie may or may not be her father.  Can anyone check the 1891 census for the kirkudbright area for me? 

i cannot find any likely candidates on the 1881 census.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Agnes Crosbie, Kirkudbright
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 07 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only birth registration for around that time in Kirkcudbrightshire is:

29 Oct 1891 Troqueer, 15 College Street, Maxwelltown - Agnes Jane Crosbie (illegitimate). Mother - Mary Crosbie, general domestic servant.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 07 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there are 9 John Crosbies in KKD in the 1891 - ages range from 1 to 42. 3 are in Kirkcudbright town itself - these are aged 13, 28 and 42 respectively.

It might be worth you registering with www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  It's pay to view but very reasonable. To look at these three records in full would cost 16 units ( 1 to search index and 3 x5 to view the full record). 1 unit = 20p.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 07 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget for that information. 

Yes, I will try Scotlands People,  it would now seem the way forward

As there is no father recorded for Agnes, perhaps John Crosbie mentioned on the manifest is infact an uncle.

regards Purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.