Author Topic: Would anyone be willing to do a lookup at Shropshire Archives  (Read 1417 times)

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would anyone be willing to do a lookup at Shropshire Archives
« on: Friday 17 November 06 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone be willing to do a lookup for me  at Shrewsbury Record Office   please,  regarding the name BROWN,  for which I would be eternally grateful.  I live abroad so cannot get any access to the Parish Registers for Wellington.

Thanks musictrish

Offline Kazlee

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone be willing to do a lookup at Shropshire Archives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 06 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I can't help out with a look up at the records office, but if you tell me what you are looking for I may be able to help, as I have some resources for the Wellington area.

Kaz
Ayres Baugh Brothwood Brown Callier Doody Evans Holmes Jesson Jones Palin Payne Plant Proudler Smith Taylor Threstlecock Tonks Wallet Ward - Shropshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 06 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaz
thanks for replying.

Hope this is  not too complicated
(1) John Brown 1852 Wellington
 father
WILLIAM  Brown born 1829 Wellington
father
(2) JOHN Brown b. ca. 1807 married Sarah Hazlewood, Wellington 1825

I thought that JOHN  (2) was the son of another (3) JOHN  Brown born ca. 1778 who married another Sarah Hazlewood in 1806 Wellington,as (3)JOHN  Brown shows up on the Wellington 1821 Census with wife Sarah, sons John , William and Samuel and  a Margaret Hazlewood ,grandmother, all living in  Redlake Ketley.

BUT

JOHN  (2)  named his first son WILLIAM and first daughter JANE , WHY ?  if his father was called JOHN  (3)

If you can understand all this, then what I want to know is ifJ OHN  (2) was the son of JOHN  (3)
OR

was he the son of WILLIAM Brown and JANE  (nee Jones) who married Wellington 20th Oct. 1803, Wellington. According to IGI they only had son THOMAS 16th Aug 1804. Are there any births for a JOHN born to a WILLIAM and JANE  between 1805-7 at wellington

It's possible that John (2) named William after grandparents but ....?

I am stuck at this point not knowing which way to go, very grateful for your help.

Trish

Offline Kazlee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 06 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Sorry it's taken me ages to get back to you.  I've got my head around what you were saying and I've searched through everything I have for the area, but unfortunately, I've come up against a brick wall.  Apart from the christening of Thomas, I can't find anything else about William and Jane.  I'm so sorry, I know how disappointing it is when you get your hopes up. 

I'm researching the name Brown myself, and it's so hard because it's such a common surname and first names are often repeated.  I'll make a note of your details and if I come across anything in my future research that I think may relate to yours, I'll let you know. 

So sorry I could be more help.

Kind regards
Kaz
Ayres Baugh Brothwood Brown Callier Doody Evans Holmes Jesson Jones Palin Payne Plant Proudler Smith Taylor Threstlecock Tonks Wallet Ward - Shropshire

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 06 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaz,
THANKYOU ever so much for your help.
CAN YOU HELP AGAIN ?

I have just received a birth cert. for one of John and Sarah's children, and received a shock.
Sarah Brown states on all Census's that she was born in Pattingham, Staffs. The only marriage I could find was  in 1825 of JOHN BROWN and SARAH HAZLEWOOD (who was born in Pattingham), now I see on the cert. she was called HAZLEDINE but I can find NO record marriage on IGI between a -

JOHN BROWN and SARAH HAZLEDINE - DO YOU PERHAPS HAVE RECORD OF ANY SUCH MARRIAGE PLEASE ca. 1824/25 ?
They were living in Hollinswood, and Ketley Redlake.

Don't know if this is a mistake of the registrar,  or I have been completely wrong all this time ???

I could scream.

Thanks
Trish

Offline Kazlee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

The only marriage I can find from my info. is between John Brown and Sarah Hazlewood at Wellington All Saints on 23rd Jan. 1806, and I think you already have this info. for the generation before.   Could they have married in Staffs, maybe her family still lived there at the time of her marriage?

Family research is very frustrating at times isn't it!  I know how you feel.

Kaz

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Kaz, It is possible they married in  Staffs, they could also have married in Shifnal. I have sent for another birth cert of one of their children, will see if that comes up Hazledine or Hazlewood.
 I have copies of the Registers of  both  the 1806 John/Sarah marriage and the 1825 John/Sarah, it appears that Sarah (2) was the niece of Sarah (1).

Trish

Offline Kazlee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I'd be interested to know what the surname is when you get the cert., but of course the register might have the mistake in the surname for the 1825 marriage.
If only we could have a little chat with these ancestors. (LOL)

Kaz

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 06 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Will do Kaz, but as I am off to N.Z. at the weekend until middle of Jan. will be in suspense until then, as the cert won't get here until middle of next week.
Will let you know when I get back.

Trish