Author Topic: MARTIN family + MAGHERACLOONE parish  (Read 20147 times)

Offline qshaun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN family + MAGHERACLOONE parish
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 11:44 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there was a lot of that kind of thing that went on back then and it was all political. Generally, the people moved out would have been catholic and those move in would have been protestant. You have the right attitude though in that it is history now and you cannot hold it against the people currently living on land the was historically disputed.

If I come across anything I think might be of further interest, I will let you know.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, I am really trying to put a bit of beef on the Martin family history and wondering who they were related to and if there are any relations left.

At the beginning of the 19th century all of the southern part of Leons Beg (pronounced Lones Beg) was held by the Martin and Duffy families who were probably intermarried and I am trying to establish if there was an historical connection between the Duffys of Leons Beg and James Joseph Duffy a prominant Carrickmacross merchant who as a widower in 1895 came to Sunderland to marry Ann Hoey born Sunderland 1871 daughter of Ann Martin born Leons Beg circa 1832 who had emigrated to Sunderland almost fifty years earlier. The mystery being, how did a prosperous Carrickmacross merchant know a Sunderland born girl of industrial working class backgound sufficiently to travel there and marry her?

By the time of the 1901 census the elderly Mrs Ann Hoey nee Martin was visiting her daughter Mrs Ann Duffy at Carrickmacross at the same time as her brother James Martin was still living less than three miles away at Leons Beg with his Co Durham born niece Mary White by which time J.J. Duffy had established his Mineral Water Factory and was chairman of the council.

Sadly Mrs Ann Duffy didn't live much longer, she died in 1903 leaving three infant children and interestingly was not buried at Carrickmacross but taken to the Rock Chapel instead where I'm assuming she must lie in a Martin plot but no gravestone can be found.

I suppose it's too late now to jog people's memories but I live in hope.

J.T.A.

Offline jwdupon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 October 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Is anyone familiar with Lawrence Martin (approx 1830 - 1890)? in the region near Donaghmoyne? His daughter Catherine (Kate) is my gggrandmother; she emigrated to the USA in 1881 with husband Patrick Cassidy.
I know little about the Martins and would welcome any suggestions/advice.

Offline chris2cv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
I too have recently found members on Martin family in Derrynascobe dating from about 1729 to 1840 I believe.
Going back through the family line, it would read, Patrick(1835), Owen, William, Edward, Brian(1729).
Does this ring any bells?
Martin - derrynascobe, carrickmacross, middlesbrough, USA, Canada & New Zealand
Reynolds, Kenilworth
Housiaux, Gent, coventry
Kask, Uk USA
Keeling, Belfast, Canada, UK
Street, Nottingham

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
Do you know when they married or had children before emigrating?

J.T.A.

Is anyone familiar with Lawrence Martin (approx 1830 - 1890)? in the region near Donaghmoyne? His daughter Catherine (Kate) is my gggrandmother; she emigrated to the USA in 1881 with husband Patrick Cassidy.
I know little about the Martins and would welcome any suggestions/advice.

Offline n quigley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 January 11 03:39 GMT (UK) »
My family were the Reilly family who lived at Derrynascobe down the bog road until the land subsided. I'm sure the Martin's were their neighbours
rose o reilly was my best friend when i was only a child i used to call to see her everyday for tea and jaffa cakes ,feed her chickens and talk about the gossip in magheracloone she was a wise old woman very kind i was eleven years old when she passed away in her home i have fond memberies to this day of wee rosie reilly ,she also had a sister maryanne married jhon fox another sister bridget that lived in england also another sister cant remember their name was married to a scottish man dont really remember rosie other brothers joe and barney .i was rosies neighbour in clonseady in magheracloone my name is niall quigley

Offline n quigley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 January 11 03:42 GMT (UK) »
My family were the Reilly family who lived at Derrynascobe down the bog road until the land subsided. I'm sure the Martin's were their neighbours
rose o reilly was my best friend when i was only a child i used to call to see her everyday for tea and jaffa cakes ,feed her chickens and talk about the gossip in magheracloone she was a wise old woman very kind i was eleven years old when she passed away in her home i have fond memberies to this day of wee rosie reilly ,she also had a sister maryanne married jhon fox another sister bridget that lived in england also another sister cant remember their name was married to a scottish man dont really remember rosie other brothers joe and barney .i was rosies neighbour in clonseady in magheracloone my name is niall quigley
also a sister in dundalk

Offline stiglish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about the family of PATRICK and MARGARET MARTIN who appear to have lived in the parish of Magheracloone, Co. Monaghan, in the 1830s and 1840s?

They were the parents of ANN MARTIN, born in Co. Monaghan in 1834 or 1835.  She migrated to Sunderland where she married Patrick Hoey on 24 July 1854.  She had a sister who was about six years older than her, MARY, b. 1828-9.  She married a Joseph White in Sunderland also - 1853.  There was also a younger sister, ROSE, who married Michael Keenan in Durham City in February 1855.  She died in Crook, Co. Durham, in 1873 (aged 36).  This would make her born c. 1837.

The girls had a brother named PATRICK and, possibly, other brothers too: PHILIP and MICHAEL.  They acted as godfathers to their sisters' children in a number of Co. Durham baptisms.

In the St. Cuthbert's parish entry for the MARTIN - KEENAN marriage her parents' address was given as 'MARACLONE'.  Was this definitely an abbreviated form sometimes used for Magheracloone?

What might be the Catholic church registers (which churches) I might possibly consult to chase up these baptisms?

Is there anyone who knows anything about this Martin family and could possibly help me identify precisely where they lived and the other usual family tree details?

Fingers crossed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
JL.

hello there my family is martin,my gt grandad was william tyler martin married agnes todd who i believe was from sunderland area,lived near crook co durham,more info on way just wondering if theres a connection thanks ste

Offline stiglish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 May 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
thanks lol :-[