Author Topic: lunatic???  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: lunatic???
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 November 06 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Did you find the family in the 1901 census?  I'll post the details if you want.

Alfred was a police sargeant - was his death anything to do with his job?  A violent death through an assault or similar could have made Ada depressed and that would have been enough to put her in an asylum in those days.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 November 06 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Sara- until fairly recently people were admitted to mental hospitals for illnesses whcih would either not require hospitalisation or would not require a long-term stay.

Not sure about records for London asylums but my grandfather's aunt died in one 1952 Ireland. I wrote letter to record office there asking if there was any iformation on her. A few weeks later a doctor phoned me and read through the file, explaing medical terms, etc. In the files were letters from her sons (which gave me addresses) and even better, one of her sons was admitted with her so I got information from his file. Son was wounded in WWI and she looked after him, became senile and went into asylum, and son also admitted.
If you can find which hospital your ancestor was in, perhaps you'll also be able to get details from the records. Good luck.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 November 06 10:38 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives at Kew holds a register to asylum patient files (MH 94)  from 1846 to 1960. The register gives name and sex, name of the institution, and dates of admission, discharge or death.

Searching through MH94 allows you to find the date of admission of the patient to a particular asylum and the date they were discharged (possibly to another asylum).
Once you know the name of the asylum and date of admission you can find the patient in the admission register of the asylum concerned (which for a London one should be held at the London Metropolitan Archives if the records have survived) and from the admission register you get the patient admission number which allows you to access the patient's medical casebook.

Under the Freedom of Information Act you will be allowed to look at medical patient's case files under the 100 year year ruling, but if they are in a medical register with other patients and the casebook stretches into records towards the 1920s the LMA may reserve the right to do the search of the records themselves.

Without checking MH94 and without an exact date of admission you will need to check quite a few asylum admission registers at the LMA in the hope of spotting Ada, but I would start with Hanwell and Colney Hatch (renamed Friern).

The National Archives will also hold information on Alfred's service record in the Metropolitan police force.

The National Archives research guides are here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp

Lunatic Asylums, 18th-20th Centuries
Police, Metropolitan (London), Records of Service

Regards

Valda

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 November 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
wow, thanks so much for all this info, i will definately look up alfreds records in the police too.  this has cetainly given me something to work on. 
Alfred died of typhoid (on death certificate), which i ordered to see if he died in service but no he didn't.  i have found them on the 1901 census and found a child i didn't know they had - ralph! 

will i be able to access these achives online or do i need to go to the national archives to view them?  i am extremely interested to find out all the information on this couple, its so facinating.

thank you!!!! ;D
sara

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 November 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
You will have to visit The National Archives to view these records.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/registration/

Regards

Valda

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 06 01:33 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that will plan a visit soon
sara