Author Topic: Agnes Collow b.1869  (Read 1967 times)

Offline BriJS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Collow b.1869
« on: Saturday 18 November 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for any information on my GG grandmother, Agnes Collow b.1869 Scotland. married William Henry Threlfall b.1870 Blackburn, Lancashire in Oct/Dec qu 1891 Blackburn, Lancashire.

Agnes Collow housemaid domestic servant unmarried b.Scotland
Working in the household of Alexander Tod 38 b.(1853+/-2) cotton yarn agent and manufacturer b.Scotland.
Mary 32 wife b.Clitheroe, Lancs.
James E 6 b.Scotland.
address Sandbridge North Promenade Lytham St Anne on Sea, Lancashire.

Agnes Collow dosent appear on any census in England before 1891. It looks like she moved to England with the family of Alexander Tod whom she worked for.

Agnes possibly has a brother Jimmy (James?)

This is all the information I have for her. Perhaps if I had an idea where abouts Alexander Tod  or his son James were born, then the odds are that Agnes was also born nearby.

I know this is not much to go off.
Thanks in advance if you can help

Brian

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Collow b.1869
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 06 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian

While your thinking is admirable I don’t believe you’re going to get the results you so hoped for.  :(

Because we know where Mary TOD was born and we know a middle initial of E for her son James the narrowing up on his birth and proving it is correct was not too difficult.  There was only one with a middle name of Edward out of 41 possibles when using wildcards and a range of a few years.  I’ve viewed the record and it is the correct BC.  The parents names are Alexander TOD and Mary Jane TOD ms WHIPP.  They were married 10 May 1883 in Clitheroe Lancashire.  So far so good!  The birth was registered in 1884 in Dalkeith parish, Midlothian in Eskbank.  So now turning to the 1881 census a look for a Tod family in Dalkeith gives you a very likely Alexander with his parents at Eskbank house in Dalkeith.  Unfortunately there is no sign of Agnes Collow or any other Collow in their household at that time. 

Turning back to the 1881 census for a lowland search on Agnes Collow returns three possibles but only one spelt just as COLLOW….and she is living with family at: 27 Dunreggan, Glencairn, Dumfries, Scotland.  Her father is Andrew and her mother is Helen.  There is no brother named James with them.

If Agnes has stated her father and his occupation on her MC then perhaps you’ll be able to tell if this might be your girl!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 06 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Brian

One step closer.....the Andrew and Helen COLLOW couple appear to have these children from the IGI:

ANDREW COLLOW b 28 SEP 1866 Glencairn, Dumfries 

WILLIAM COLLOW b 28 SEP 1866 Glencairn, Dumfries

JAMES COLLOW b 12 FEB 1862 Glencairn, Dumfries

ISABELLA COLLOW b 17 DEC 1869 Glencairn, Dumfries

HELEN COLLOW b 21 JAN 1860 Glencairn, Dumfries

Agnes is listed as born Penpont Dumfries...Andrew and Isabella are listed as born Moniaive Dumfries from the 1881 census so I'm pretty sure this is the right family......which proves that there was a brother named James.

Hope this helps...
Jean

Offline BriJS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Jean,

Many thanks for the information, it looks as though I will need to get my hands on a copy of the Agnes' marriage certificate and hopefully this will confirm Andrew as her father.
 The  Agnes you have found is listed as born 1867 and her sister Isabella 1869, I have a date for Agnes born 1869 how possible is that the two sisters have their birth years mixed up on the census?

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I wouldn't be turned off by the slight discrepancy in her age.  It's quite possible that Agnes might have "adjusted" it a wee bit.  It happens ALOT!  ;D 

But.... yes.....you definitely need to purchase her MC in order to find out who her father was.  We may be all wrong......and if we are I'm not sure where to go next ???

Good luck and best wishes
Jean