Author Topic: Edmund Francis Coleman b. 1836 Sydney  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon
    • View Profile
Edmund Francis Coleman b. 1836 Sydney
« on: Saturday 18 November 06 18:20 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather was Edmund Francis (or Frances) Coleman b. 1836 in Sydney, NSW. I have a birth certificate reference from www.bmd.nsw.gov.au , giving his father's name as George and his mother's name as Maria.

I would like to know how you go about ordering a copy of this certificate from the authorities in Australia and how do you pay from the UK?

I have searched for George and Maria's mariage certificate but haven't found it in the Australian records. How can I find our more about George and Maria?
Thanks
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline niftynita

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Great GPs, 2 children (incl my GF seated) 1912
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Francis Coleman b. 1836 Sydney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
I've never yet had to order from NSW for certificates (nearly all in my tree came to Qld).     Anyway, when you get the search info up, there is a link to 'buy now' (under purchase certificate).   Just go to this and follow the instructions.  There is a step by step guide on the same page as the search page, it could help you out a bit.  Here's the link.   

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

They accept credit card, so as long as you have a Visa or Mastercard, I don't think you'd have a problem ?? 

As for George & Maria's marriage certificate, either they may have married interstate (maybe Qld or Vic and then moved to NSW), or perhaps they married overseas and emigrated to Australia.   Maybe try immigration to NSW for 1820s-30s ???   Just check other rootschat links for immigration, I haven't got any for any state except Qld. 

Hope this helps you a bit anyway. 

Regards nita   :)

ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and am always searching for the following in Aust & UK:
DORSET - Moore, Reeks;  WILTSHIRE - Chalk, Elkins; HAMPSHIRE - Chalk, Hack;  DERBYSHIRE - Chadwick;
CUMBERLAND - Armstrong, Pearson;  LONDON/KENT AREA - Frith, Knight; YORKSHIRE - Street (WR), Pearson (NR); SOMERSET - Pickford; 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Shearman, Tarling;   SCOTLAND - Street, Low, McNab.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Given the date this will be a parish record - there may be little other information available. As well as the certificate reference from Nita - a much cheaper way to get NSW bdm data is via transcription agents. I think at least one has online credit card payments. The one I use does not - I had to call & give my credit details & now whenever I want a transcript I simply order via email.

Details of the agents are here
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

It will only cost $10AU (about 3 pounds) for a transcript of your birth record, compared to about $25 for a certificate from the registry.

George and Maria may well have immigrated to Australia - given the date 1836.  You could look for immigration records. Probably the best way to find more information is to hope that they died after civil registration started. Australian death certificates often contain much information - the later they died the better as in the beginnning much of the data wasn't collected.

They may have married before coming to Australia or if they married in Australia, given the date, the records may not have survived. There is a good discussion on early NSW records here
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/celebrate/index.html

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched the records Mary? There appear to be some siblings to your edmund
Anne M 1832 and Thomas B 1834

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

There is no location given online but on the AVRI the location is given as
Paramatta St Johns C of E for the early two and Sydney St Phillips for Edmund

There are some remaining records from the 1841 Census available online here
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/indexes_online_3357.asp

could be worth a search.

The name Coleman seems relatively common in early NSW - could be tricky to find the correct death - there are 2 perhaps likely for Maria - unfortunately both are still in the time of parish records. Parish of both is Camperdown, Newtown, Church of England The other details you can find online

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nita and Trish!
I will get on and follow these up.
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.