Author Topic: Frey/ Lehman  (Read 15788 times)

Offline Richard54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frey/ Lehman
« on: Saturday 18 November 06 20:20 GMT (UK) »
 George and Marie Frey emigrated from Germany to England sometime in the 1880's. They lived in the Manchester area and had six children, daughter Alice married my grandfather. She died of the Spanish flue epidemic a day after the war finished leaving him to return from the trenches as a widower with two children, born 1916,1917. Although they are still alive they recall very little of the Frey family and are sure some emigrated to the States due to the high anti german feelings of the time.
Finally , after long searches I have a member of the Frey family who emigrated to the USA. Hilda Marie Frey age 17 arrived in New York on the 14 Dec 1912 aboard the Mauretania..The ships manifest log/immigration form  has some great details but the main interest is that it lists her as going to her aunt in Brooklyn. A Mrs Lehman , 352 Quincy St , Brooklyn.
 So the query is where would I research from here? When it comes to chasing family in the States, I really don't know where to start.
Just in case anybody is wondering , my grandfather remarried in 1924 which explains where I come into the picture.
           Thanks   Richard

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Frey/ Lehman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard: Your next step is to find Hilda Marie Frey in the U.S. at a later date, most likely in the 1920 U.S. census. I have sporadic access to Ancestry.com, but I'm sure someone will see this and do a lookup for you.

In the meantime, I found an Adolf Frey, age 66 arriving with his family (wife, daughter, and son) in New York on board the Hannover on April 21, 1922. Though they embarked at Bremen, Germany, they say their last place of residence was Manchester.

They were going to stay with Adolf's sister, a Mrs. Lehmann (two n's on the manifest), who lived at 357 Madison St., in Brooklyn (note the sameness of the house number but the difference in street names). I don't think this is a coincidence. I looked at Yahoo Maps for Brooklyn, NY and the two streets are within 4 blocks of each other.

Seems that Adolf Frey and family were from the German side of the family. Perhaps other Freys came to visit--or stay--also. I got lucky finding Adolf Frey--he was at the head of the alphabet and Manchester was listed in the search results.

Regards,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

I have possibly found Hilda in the 1920 census, enumerated as Hilda Fray. Details are:

Engert Avenue, Brooklyn Assembly District 15, Kings, New York

Head of household, Frederick G Brewninger ? (transcribed as Brenninger), age 39, immigration year 1895, naturalized 1904, born Germany as were both his parents, occupation Iron (Stoker?) Iron Foundry
Wife, Elizabeth, age 34, born New York, both parents born Germany
Cousin, Hilda M Fray, age 24, immigration year 1912, Alien, born England, both her parents born Germany, occupation Stenographer Clothing House
Boarder, George F S?aur ? (transcribed as Shaw), age 34, immigration year 1915, Pa, born England, both parents born Germany, occupation Motorman City Railroad

I haven't found her in 1930 as yet, plus I have looked at the 1930 census for the Adolf that John found in the passenger lists without any luck at the moment.

I have looked at the "Italian Genealogical Group" website for a marriage but again unfortunately the only two likely ones would have married in the 1930's which wouldn't help us for the 1930 census.

I will try some more to see what I can find.

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England
Beresford - Birmingham, England
Hall - Birmingham, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for such quick replies. I'm just trying to take it all in.
Interesting that on Hilda's immigration papers she is going to her aunt Mrs Lehman , then Adolf Frey seems to be visiting the same person, while Hilda has moved to stay as a cousin with Frederick and Elizabeth.
 It's great that the Americans allow you to search later census papers while here in the uk we are stuck with 1901 for another six years! Can one research BMD's in the States?
                           Richard.

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Ok Richard

I do like to get in there and certainly do not like to be beaten  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D

I have found your family in the 1930 census and the Adolf (with wife Marie, son Reginald and daughter Magdelena) that John found was the link. (This searching is soooooooo based on "feelings" and I could sense that John felt that Adolf and his family were in some way a good link  8) )

So I have spent the morning trying to find that link and having looked at Hilda's family in the 1901 England census and noted that Adolf and George were born about the same time. Then looked at the Lancashire Birth index and found that Reginald and Magdelina were both born in Chorley, Lancashire as was Hilda (Marie Hilda)

Well, based on this I searched for a George Frey and got a Yipee moment when I also saw Hilda married to George Shaw ( the George who was a boarder in 1920 ?  ;D)

I will give all the details from the 1930 census

Living at 10457 89th Avenue, Queens, Queens, New York

Head, George Frey, Half owns home, $14000, has a Radio, age 72, married at age 24, born Wurtenberg Germany as were both parents, immigration year 1922, PA, occupation Porter Hosiery Co.
Wife, Marie, age 68, born Germany both parents born Germany, immigration year 1922, Al
Son, Reginald, age 26, born England, immigration year 1922, NA, occupation Mechanic Sports Goods Co.
Daughter, Gladys, age 24, born England, immigration year 1922, NA
Boarder, Earnest Trump, age 29, born Wurtenberg Germany, both parents born Germany, immigration year 1926, PA, occupation Mechanic Garage
Head, George F Shaw, half owns home, $14000, age 44, married at age 37, born Liverpool England, both parents born Germany, immigration year 1916, NA, occupation Instructor Railroad
Wife, Hilda, age 34,  married at age 27, born Manchester England, both parents born Germany, immigration year 1912, NA
Son, George, age 4 and 6 months, born New York
Son, Rolf, age 1 and 1 month, born New York

The Frey's arrived 21st April 1922 and I have found this marriage on the Italian Genealogy Group's website,  http://www.italiangen.org/

George F Shaw, 25th June 1922, Kings County, certificate number 7328

No brides name unfortunately but looks like a good possibilty (maybe the Frey's arrived for the wedding  8))

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Agnes

My family research
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard and Agnes: I had written a longer reply, but my computer decided to crash and I opted to reconstruct this short but sweet version.

Agnes: Excellent work in finding Hilda and family in the 1920 and 1930 censuses.

Richard: BMDs in the U.S. are held at the state and/or local level. New York City's BMDs are held by two city agencies, based on year of event: the Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Dept. of Records' Municipal Archives. Here's a link to New York City's  home page. You'll find a pull-down agency menu on the left of the page.

http://www.nyc.gov

When I did the Ellis Island search for Freys, there were almost 2,000, including a goodly number of Adolfs! Happy hunting! :o :o :o

Regards,
John

SCOTLAND
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I would just like to add Richard, that your family story regarding the reasons for moving to the US is reasonable as I found George Shaw's passenger arrival in the US (he travelled with his brother john)

His father's address is shown as Stobs Camp, Scotland, which appears to be an internment camp during WWI. I have googled it and found a little information.

Agnes
My family research
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I just knew that your finding Adolf was the major clue, so once I realised that, the rest was easy  ;D  ;D  ;D

Best wishes

Agnes

PS: Richard, I am happy to carry on the search but obviously do not want to without your sayso! So please let me know if you have enough info  :)
My family research
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Richard and Agnes: I modified my previous reply a bit. Take another look.

Agnes: You work very quickly. Perhaps I should get you on the case of my great-grandfather Robert Hendry from Scotland! HE emigrated to Massachusetts in 1882 and I can't link him back to Scotland. no matter how hard I try. Nothing fits! Sorry for the intrusion of my own story, Richard.

Regards,
John

SCOTLAND