Author Topic: Lookup for William Spencer 1841 Knaith - completed with thanks  (Read 1638 times)

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Lookup for William Spencer 1841 Knaith - completed with thanks
« on: Saturday 18 November 06 23:42 GMT (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather William Spencer i have been lead to believe was born 30/4/1840 in Knaith, Lincolnshire (this info from a family bible my cousin has - which starts from this generation)

I have William from 1851 - 1901 census and he died in 1910. He married Maria J Ramsdell (Ramsdale) in 1870 and they had 10 children that i know of.

Unfortunately in the 1851 census he is in the Gainsborough workhouse with no parents that i can identify.

I cannot seem to find him in the 1841 census and without parents names it has proven difficult to find much else on him, including not being able to find a birth registration.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for William Spencer 1841 Knaith
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Do not know if this helps...

1841 - HO107/638/32 Folio 2  Page 5
Knaith

William Spencer 50 ag lab
Anne " 65
Mary " 25
Mary Colley 6 visitor
William " 1 Think the 'do' is for Spencer

In 1851 Anne is with William & Maria Colley & family as MIL, they already have a son William born 1832, who is on the 1841 in Upton parish /1851 in Knaith parish with them. So it is possible that this little chap is Spencer, possibly Mary's son.

Also there is no birth registered for Colley or Spencer or anything similar in June qtr 1840, so perhaps he was not registered, or registered in the next qtr? There is an entry on the original index for 1840 sept qtr Gainsboro'

Children for William /Anne, extracted records, there may be more.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details[/color]

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Gibbons/Mordecai/Mort/Squire/Thomas/David/Davies/Joseph/ Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glam
Lewis - Ystradgynlias,  Breckonshire
Gibbons/Timbrell/Beale/Ludlow - Glos/Wilts
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop.
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Cas! as usual i think you have come up trumps! I'll gather more info on these people and see where it leads me, many thanks.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 09:53 GMT (UK) »
The Mary christened to William/Anne 23/7/1814 died 15/11/1815  :'( and then there is another Mary to the same parents christened 16/7/1817 so this might be the Mary in 1841.

David

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 06 10:02 GMT (UK) »
The funny thing is when you look on 1841 for William and Maria Colley (Maria nee Spencer) they have a Mary Colley aged 6 with them in Upton so perhaps the Mary Colley aged 6 with William/Anne Spencer in 1841 is enumerated twice and that is why visitor is crossed out.

David

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 06 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, I did wonder why it had been crossed out, that is a possibility, have seen people doubled up before, but through the census you know these Spencer/Colley are connected.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to send for the Sept qtr cert to rule out anyway.  Another possibility is to try and find info from the records of where William was in 1851? The ref is 1f, if you look at the enumerator district though it is very difficult to read area.

I do think there is a very good chance that this is your man, found him by putting in Spencer, and just Knaith, they were the only ones that came up, and he was not transcribed with the family.

Good luck

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Gibbons/Mordecai/Mort/Squire/Thomas/David/Davies/Joseph/ Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glam
Lewis - Ystradgynlias,  Breckonshire
Gibbons/Timbrell/Beale/Ludlow - Glos/Wilts
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop.
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 06 11:16 GMT (UK) »
and that is why visitor is crossed out.

"Visitor" will have been crossed out as it's not an occupation.  You can often find Widow for the same reason.  It's useful information though!

The folio number is actually 3 (not 2).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 06 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both, will investigate further.

David