Author Topic: Kent County Lunatic Aslyum  (Read 3489 times)

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kent County Lunatic Aslyum
« on: Monday 20 November 06 08:01 GMT (UK) »
I found a gt gt aunt residing in the Kent County Aslyum in the 1901 census. She is listed as F Pitter, born Kent when in fact she was born1874 Holborn. Her husband, Alfred was living nearby with their two children living elsewhere, one Alfred jr with grandparents Gallington and the daughter, Florence with her aunt Caroline Ingrey.

She seems quite young to be in an asylum but did wonder perhaps if she was suffering from post natal depression.

Any information on the Kent asylum would be appreciated - doesn't seem to be much on the net .

Thanks

2shea
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kent County Lunatic Aslyum
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 06 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi 2shea

There are some records at the Centre for Kentish Studies at Maidstone

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0x9/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0s8/

There were some patients there who were maintained by the Westminster Union see http://www.mdx.ac.uk/www/study/4_13_TA.htm#Westminster with some records (1885-1895) of these at the London Metropolitan Archives.

You can see quite a few references to the institution by googling barming asylum (I assume it is the one at Barming that you are referring to?)

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - will follow up on those links.
Yes it is Barming.

Thnaks very much
2shea

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 06 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi 2shea

I had a relative who died in the Ayslum in 1893 and I have been in to Maidstone to look at the records.  They are quite extensive so it would be well worth going if you can.  There are admission books and patient records describing why they were admitted and by whom, and details of their illnesses which bear no resemblance to any psychiatric diagnosis today!  Obviously it is hit and miss, as many records must have gone missing but worth a visit.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 06 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks -  will have to go on my to do list as  I live in NZ     but good to know that they will let you have a look. I do suspect my Florence was probably not that "luney" but possibly suffering post natal depression which today is more recognised and they don't usually send you away like they did then.

Thanks for the tip

2shea

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 06 22:02 GMT (UK) »
2shea

If you send me details I might be able to do some searching for you next time I go to Maidstone archives.  It's not likely to be before Christmas because they only open 9-1 on two Saturdays a month (!) and I don't think I will have time until the New Year.

Post a reply to this message or send me a P.M.  I will need names and any dates you have for the relevant period.

Regards
Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire