Author Topic: john jenkins in Macasquin  (Read 3920 times)

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
john jenkins in Macasquin
« on: Sunday 14 November 04 22:22 GMT (UK) »
An  Irish genealogy site did a look-up for me in the 1831-1841 census and found only one person by this name.  He was in this township.  If anyone out there could find out ANYTHING more about this man I'd  really appreciate it.  If He is my John Jenkins he would have left Ire. before 1850.  He would have been (b) 1797-1817 and (m) to a Mary/Maria J. Salmon Dwyer by 1842 and She may have been (m) to a Dwyer in 1832/33.  Where can I find out more about records for this township?   Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: john jenkins in Macasquin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 04 16:46 GMT (UK) »
HI,

There is so little of the 1831 and 1841 census surviving that I'm surprised the site managed to find one John Jenkins household.

parts of 1821 for Cavan, Fermanagh, Galway, Meath and Offaly, 1831 for parts of Derry, 1841 for Killeshandara Co Cavan and 1851 for parishes in Antrim. The returns for 1861 to 1871 were pulped in World War I after the statistical information was compiled for reasons unknown and the 1881 or 1891 were destroyed 'for security reasons' allegedly.

So don't make any assumptions.
Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 08 11:25 BST (UK) »
Going through older posts and came across this one. By now you might have been able to find more information but if you haven't done so here're a few things to consider.

Macosquin is a parish not a township. We have townlands here, not townships. A parish is made up of a group of townlands.
To understand what townlands are and why they are so important:
www.ulsterancestry.com/ulster_townlands_by_county.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland
www.ulsterplacenames.org/celebrating_ulster's_townlands_exhibition.htm

As Kate mentions when you posted your original message very little pre-1901 census information survives.
Jenkins is not a common name in the Macosquin area and the Tithe Applotment lists (1830s survive).
This website is Australian but gives an idea of what records do survive:
www.aigs.org.au/londonderryff1.htm

The 1831 census was more of a religious survey- it lists head of household (not names or other people in household), numbers of males/females and religion (Catholic/Church of Ireland/Presbyterian/other).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 07:19 BST (UK) »

The 1831 census gives the following Jenkins families in the
Coleraine/Macosquin area:there were 5 families with only one
John Jenkins, head of household in the townland of Letterloan.

Nathaniel Jenkins, Killowen, Coleraine
Archibald, John and Nataniel Jenkins, Letterloan, Macosquin
James Jenkins, Port Diana Village, Portstewart, Ballyaghran
Thomas Jenkins, New Row, Coleraine

The original returns will give you the numbers of persons in the
household and their religion. Then church records could be used
to make a search for Macosquin/Coleraine area.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 07:35 BST (UK) »
The surname Jenkins isn't as rare in Macosquin as I thought. Good chance that Jenkins of Letterloan will be Presbyterian.

Macosquin Presbyterian Church (also known locally as Englishtown)
Nancy Jenkins, dau. of Archd. + Elizabeth, Camus, bapt. 9 Feb.1829 [moved to Letterloan- see below]
Mary, George, Peggy Anne + Nancy Jenkins, ch. of John + Letitia, Litterlone, bapt. 23 Feb.1829 [this is possibly the John in 1831 census]
Mary Jane + Robt John Jenkins, ch. of Nathanael + Bridget, Litterlone, bapt. 31 May 1831
James Jenkins, son of Nathanael + Bridget, Litterlone, bapt. 5 Mar.1834
John Jenkins, son of Archd + Elizabeth, Litterlone, bapt. 20 June 1834
Peggy + Nath Jenkins, ch. of Nathanael + Biddy, Litterlone, bapt. 25 Apr.1839
Clarke Jenkins, son of James Jenkins + Liza Jenkins, bapt. 20 Nov.1885

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello leagen,

There's a small village by the name of Macosquin .... here's a link to a map of the place ... www.ninis.nisra.gov.uk/mapxtreme_towns/viewmap/Macosquin.jpg

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
The townland of Macosquin is in Macosquin Parish.

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 October 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
The Jenkins named here aren't mine.  My John Jenkins had sons John,Charles and Ralph and daughter Eliza.  His wife was Mary/Maria.   Thanks for the lookup because now I can stop looking in Macasquin.  Lea
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 16 06:41 BST (UK) »
I have learned a lot since I posted last.  I found my Jenkins in the Dublin Workhouse Feb. 18,1845 entering and leaving April 28,1845.  There were mother Mary aged 30, Ralph aged 5, Eliza aged 3 and Chas. aged 4 months.  I Think these were ages on entering the workhouse.  Father John and son John were not w/them.  I Then found them  in the Rathdown Union Workhouse entering on Jan. 11, 1848 and leaving  (To America)  on April 12. 1850.  Father John aged 40, mother Mary aged 34/37 (can't read it well), Kids: John aged 13, Ralph aged 11. Eliza aged 10 and Chas. aged 3.  It states they were from Bray which was crossed out and Union at Large written in.  I know from Ralph's US obit he was born in Bray.  I then found Baptisms for : Eliza Jenkins  at a RC church in Bray  on Oct. 10, 1841 w/parents John and Maria GALBERT/ALBERT/HALBERT  (Supposed to be SAMMON/SALMON). With God Parents Thomas FLINN and Julia MOORE and Ralph Jenkins son of John and Maria Halbert/Albert/ bapt. on April 14,1839 w/Gods of Pat. Bryan and Maria Kelly.   I then found a (m) record for a John JENKINS and Mary SAMMON Nov. 24,1832 in Enniskerry Parish, Dublin ,Wicklow .  Witnesses James BRYAN and Sara Cortney/ or?.  Then I find a Bapt. record for a Bridgida Jenkins daughter of John and Maria SALMON Nov. 4, 1833 w/Gods Jacob and Maria Mahon.   All of the Bapts were RC in Bray.  In the US Mary/Maria Jenkins is listed on her death register as  Born SALMON and all other records call her Mary/Maria DWYER.    I do not know who Bridgida was  as there was no one by that name who came to the USA w/the family and I think IF she was of my Jenkins she died in Ireland before 1845 when I find them in the workhouse.   If Anyone can find me more info it would be greatly appreciated.  I can Not find them in Ships  in Ap/May of 1850 but they R in the US in the 1850 census but Without Daughter Eliza who is not found in any census until she is found in the 1870 census as Eliza Baldwin  in CT.  She is known to have (m) a Baldwin in VT in Jan. 1860 but can not be found in 1850 US anywhere. Or in 1860 as Eliza Baldwin in NY, VT, Ct, NH, o r Mass all areas she lived.  .By 1880 she has (m) a McDonald and is easily  followed after that.