Author Topic: Proof of Birth-How?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Proof of Birth-How?
« on: Sunday 14 November 04 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I would like to prove that my ggggrandmother was born in England in 1801. Her death here was before the date to be able to get a Birth or a Death Certificate. I do not have proof of the town,village or parish she was born in. Just family heresay. It's said she was buried on a farm somewhere in Kansas.

Is there a way to prove her birth in England? Can anyone give me some sites to try? I don't know what to try anymore!

I will welcome all suggestions.

Thanks---- Renee :)
Searching for:
Manners,Ferguson,Hamilton,Sanderson,Wheat,Smith,Tomlinson,Crum,Corse or Croess
Areas of interest: Scotland and England and Ireland

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Proof of Birth-How?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 November 04 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Renee,

Has it ever been suggested where she might have been born? It might help start your search for her birth.

Cheers
Claire  :)
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 04 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Claire,

It is said she was born in Ticknall,Derbyshire. I have searched with no luck,mostly because there is confusion about her maiden name. some say Wheat, some say Smith! There are conflicting birth dates also!

Thanks for helping  ;D

Renee  :)
Searching for:
Manners,Ferguson,Hamilton,Sanderson,Wheat,Smith,Tomlinson,Crum,Corse or Croess
Areas of interest: Scotland and England and Ireland

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 04 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Renee,

Um..! What I think I would do if I had this problem is start from the info you know is correct.

Do you know when she married? - it might be easier to track down a marriage record first which would then give you her correct maiden name.

You could then put a more specific query on the county page asking for a look up of parish registers (I'd start with Ticknall unless you know she married somewhere different).

Hopefully if you can confirm her marriage it might give you more clues as to where she was born.

Sorry if that sounds obvious but sometimes it's hard to guess how much you might know already.

Cheers
Claire
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).