Author Topic: Arthur HOY - NSW  (Read 11410 times)

Offline Raylen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur HOY - NSW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 January 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
There is this death notice on the Ryerson Index - Port Fairy is a long way from Cessnock, but perhaps.......

HOY Ellen Mary (Nell), d 3 Dec 2004 at Moyneyana House, Port Fairy, Victoria. Death Notice in Herald Sun (Melbourne) 10 Dec 2004

Ryerson offer a look-up service.

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

Judith

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/HeraldSun-AU/Obituaries.asp?Page=ArchiveSearch

From what I can see of this notice
Husband is Augustine (Gus) and son Neville.

Raylen
Tuck-Baydon,Wiltshire
Woolford-Hampshire
Christie-Stirling

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 January 10 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Ah well, not her, then!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Agooly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 11 01:57 BST (UK) »
Arthur Joseph Hoy, born in South Sheilds was my grand father. He did marry Sylvia Florence Maud Kliche and move to West Lakes South Australia from Sydney NSW. He worked on the Yelta TS, a steam Tug in Port Adelaide for many years as a stoker. He died on 21 Febuary 1986. He was survived by his wife Sylvia (died 26/6/1995) and two children, Barbara and David and 4 Grand children, Michael and Caroline, Yvette and Craig. He is buried in the Cheltenham Cemetery.  If you need any addition info please ask.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 11 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Agooly
Welcome to Rootschat

Jarra Lad hasn't been online on this forum since 2009. 
You need to have three posts on here before you can access the private message system.
Of course he may still be getting notifications so you may be lucky and get a reply.

Good luck
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 August 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Agooly,

Welcome from Jarrow - the town immediately to the west of South Shields on the south bank of the River Tyne (the County Durham side).

As you can imagine I was pleasantly surprised and, indeed, delighted - almost five years after my initial post re. Arthur Hoy - to read your recent reply.  It was lovely to hear at last from my Hoy relatives in Australia; I had effectively given up on ever receiving a positive response and thought I would never find out what happened to Arthur Hoy.

My Dad, Anthony Hoy (born in the Tyne Dock area of South Shields on 14 July 1930), is your grandad's yougest cousin.  He was the youngest of either twenty-one or twenty-two cousins and, sadly, is the only one still alive.  His only remaining cousin, Michael Hoy, died in South Shields' General Hospital on 25 October 2010, aged 80.  Just to give you an example of the age gap between all these cousins, his eldest cousin, Matthew, was born in 1902 and had already married and started his own family by the time my Dad was born!

Arthur Hoy left England for Hobart, Tasmania, on his own on 13 March 1913.  He travelled aboard the steamship Ruapehu and is listed as a miner under the name of A. Hoey (ironically the original spelling of the family surname when they lived in the Monaghan-Co. Louth area of Ireland).  His wife, Ellen (nee Ditchburn), and only son, Arthur Joseph, followed him shortly afterwards, leaving England on 19 December 1913 aboard the steamship Otway bound for Melbourne.  Michael Hoy, who I knew well, told me that it was his dad - Frederick William Hoy - who had given Arthur (known as Arty) the money for the fare

I have no evidence that Arthur ever returned to England but Ellen and Arthur Joseph arrived back in London on 3 June 1923 aboard the Largs Bay.  I don't know when Ellen returned to Australia but do know that young Arthur (then only fifteen and already working as a miner) returned aboard SS Balranald, sailing on 9 July 1925, his destination being Sydney.  He had been living with his maternal grandparents, the Ditchburns, for this two-year period at 30 Lord Nelson Street, Tyne Dock.  Sadly, this street, like the street in which he was born (Frost Street), no longer survives, having been replaced by modern housing about forty years ago.

What confused me for years was the fact that accompanying his April 1910 baptismal entry at Saints Peter and Paul R.C. Church in Tyne Dock, was the additional later stamped entry: '1918 CONFIRMED'.  This suggested that he was confirmed when he was about eight in his local R.C. church, the church his parents had married in on 5 October 1909 (the best-man/first witness being Arty's younger brother, James - killed at Gallipoli on 13 July 1915, aged 25).  It was only at the beginning of 2010 that the penny dropped: the parish priest in 1918 had simply stamped EVERY entry in the parish register for baptisms in exactly the same manner, not caring whether this was true or not!  For years I believed that Arthur's family could only have emigrated AFTER the Great War because his son had been confirmed in SS. Peter and Paul in 1918.  You can imagine my relief when I at last worked out the truth of what had really happened.  So much for the veracity of Roman Catholic priests!  If this false stamp had not been in the baptismal register I could have worked out the truth of the matter years ago.

The earliest reference I have for the Hoys in Australia is a 1936 reference to their living in Allendale Road, Cessnock, New South Wales.  Michael told me that his Uncle Arthur had gone to work in the Kurri Kurri mines of the South Maitland Coalfield.

Arthur Hoy died of stomach cancer on 8 April 1955, aged 68, at Cessnock District Hospital.  His address was given as 1 Chapman Street, Cessnock.  The informant was R. Steele of 17 Subiaco Avenue, Cessnock (presumably a close friend).  He was buried on 12 April 1955 in the R.C. cemetery of Cessnock.  

Arthur was the longest-lived child of Matthew and Ann Hoy (nee Martin).  He was their third child/son and the first to be born in South Shields - at 130 Maxwell Street on 8 February 1887.  Matthew and Ann had ten children in total, nine being boys.  Six of these boys grew to manhood: Matthew and Patrick (both born in Sunderland, Co. Durham), Arthur, James (Jim),  Frederick William (Fred) and Thomas (all born in South Shields, the latter being my grandfather).  The other four all died as infants.  I have a good photograph of Matthew and Ann Hoy, a photo of Matthew and his youngest son Thomas (taken late in his life - he lived to be 84) and the following photos of Arty's brothers: Matthew and his wife, with him wearing his Border Regiment Great War uniform; James in his uniform of the Nelson Battalion, Royal Naval Division; Frederick in his West Yorkshire Regiment uniform; and a few photos of my grandfather, Thomas.  I will try to send copies of these these to you when I (hopefully) receive your e-mail address.

Do you have any photos of Arthur and Ellen Hoy or of your grandfather Arthur?  Do you know where and when your great grandmother Ellen died?  Do you have any stories you could pass on relating to any of the above?

That's all for now, Agooly (Michael, Caroline, Yvette or Craig?).  Speak to you very soon to pass on A LOT more info.  I hope this message reaches you and that you're glad to hear from a reasonably close relly still living on Tyneside.

Regards.  

Peter Hoy.

Offline Agooly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 August 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
My mother, Barbara - eldest child of Arthur and Sylvia, has all the information you require. We would be happy to share with you. I will  get her to send you some additional information as soon as we can confirm your email. regards Michael Brokus - Agoolie

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 August 11 10:33 BST (UK) »
I checked with the Cessnock cemetery today and Arthur Hoy is buried alone but with the adjacent plot brought .

I wonder if Ellen may have gone to SA with Arthur Jnr.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 August 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael.

Very many thanks for getting back in touch so promptly.  It was great to hear from you.

I don't remember how one goes about passing on one's own personal e-mail address on Rootschat; it's many years since I last did so, so I'm hoping someone out there can remind me what one needs to do so that I will then be able to contact your mum, Barbara, directly.

I have one super story to tell you about your grandfather during his time as a stoker in the RANR.  He was aboard a ship (presumably a troopship) somewhere in European waters in the Second World War when a tannoy announcement was made for Arthur Hoy to go to a particular place to meet a particular person.  When he arrived there was someone already there who had similarly responded to the same tannoy announcement - ANOTHER Arthur Hoy!  This man was a gunner in the Royal Artillery and was Arthur's cousin, Arthur, the only son of his Uncle Patrick - who had moved south to Slough in Buckinghamshire about 1936 to look for work following the early death of his second wife (both called Elizabeth and both dying from TB).  What larks, eh!  A chance in a million meeting. You couldn't make it up.  My Dad's cousin, Michael Hoy, told me that he knew for a fact that Arthur had definitely taken advantage of his being based in Europe to visit his granddad and two remaining uncles (Fred and Thomas) in Tyne Dock during the war.  Michael remembered his visit.

Between July 2010 and February 2011 I wrote a c. 400-page book entitled 'A Hoy There' (unpublished) based upon the Great War experiences and activities of the four brothers who all served as Kitchener Volunteers.  I could send you a copy of this if you might be interested in reading it.  Arthur was the lucky one: he got out of England just in time to escape the carnage.  Similarly, my grandfather (Thomas) was able to avoid conscription because he was a miner, a reserved occupation, and he had clearly learnt from his elder brothers that it was a really bad idea to volunteer to serve.

One final point of interest for you for now.  Arthur's younger brother, Frederick William (Michael Hoy's dad), took part in the rightly celebrated Christmas Truce of 1914 and also survived 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment's attack up Mash Valley (between the villages of Ovillers and La Boisselle) on 1 July 1916, becoming isolated from all his mates as a Lewis-gunner and spending virtually the entire day pinned down in No Man's Land on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.  Over 140 men in his battalion were killed in action on just that single morning. so Fred was lucky to survive relatively unscathed, living to the age of 65 and dying in South Shields on 13 November 1957.

One correction: Arthur's mother's maiden name was DONNELLY - NOT Martin.
Ellen Ditchburn's father was Thomas Ditchburn, a miner who lived at 46 Napier Street, South Shields on 5 October 1909.

Regards.

Peter.

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 August 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenn,

Very many thanks for passing on details about Arthur Hoy's being buried on his own at Cessnock.  Obviously there's no way I could access such information from here in Jarrow in north-east England so I very much appreciate your help.  The whole point of RootsChat is that we can all help each other out if WE know what someone is looking for.  I've done the same for other people in the past so I am thankful for your showing an interest and for helping me out - and indeed the rest of the family now living in South Australia.

I agree that it seems likely that his widow, Nellie/Ellen, probably moved to South Australia to be nearer her only child, Arthur Joseph, after being widowed in April 1955.  Hopefully her granddaughter, Barbara, will be able to tell me if and when we can learn each other's e-mail addresses.

Do you by any chance know whether Arthur's grave is marked by a headstone?  If it is he will be the only one of the six brothers to have one.  Four lie in unmarked graves while James is commemorated along with his mates of the Royal Naval Division on the Helles Memorial at Gallipoli - and it's unlikely I'll ever get to visit there to pay my respects in person, sadly.

Appreciative regards,

Peter.