Author Topic: Arthur HOY - NSW  (Read 11417 times)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur HOY - NSW
« on: Wednesday 22 November 06 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about ARTHUR HOY's family in NSW?

He was born Arthur Joseph Hoy in Tyne Dock, SOUTH SHIELDS. Co. Durham on 26 March 1910 (40 Frost Street).  He was the only child of Arthur Hoy (born in South Shields on 8 February 1887; died at the District Hospital in Cessnock, NSW, on 8 April 1955 (aged 68)) and Ellen Ditchburn.  He was a miner who, I believe, worked in the Kurri Kurri mines.  From the 1930s, at least, he was living at 1 Chapman Street, Cessnock.  I don't know when Ellen died but she was a widow.

Arthur Hoy (junior) was my Dad's cousin.  He emigrated to Australia with his parents just after the Great War.  He was confirmed at his local Catholic church (SS Peter and Paul, Tyne Dock) in 1918.  He served in the Australian Navy in the Second World War, ending up as a Petty Officer Stoker.  He married Sylvia Florence Maud Kliche, who was born in Adelaide in 1906 or 1907, in the R.C. Church of Mary Immaculate in Manly (Sydney) on 25 January 1940.  He had lied about his age when he joined the R.A.N.R., taking five years off his age, claiming to have been born in 1915.

Any information relating to Arthur and both his wife and mum would be greatly appreciated.  I have a large file outling the family history of his English rellies and some info. relating to his Irish ancestry too - the Carrickmacross area on the Monaghan-Co. Louth border.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

JL.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: ARTHUR HOY - NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello  there JL

this is a link to  the National Archives  where you can search easily as a guest
there is  the record  for  your Arthur Hoy
also  there is a  record for Frank  Hoy  born  in 1924 nok is Arthur Hoy  this  young  chap is from Lithgow  which is adjacent to Cessnock  he  may very well be  his son

http://www.naa.gov.au/The_Collection/recordsearch.html

have a look

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 23:00 GMT (UK) »
hello

I have  check  the  south  index for the  birth  of Kliche Sylvia Florence Maud  but  the index  I have  only goes  to 1906 so  couldnt  help  there  only  to say  she  must  have been born after 1906

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 06 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about ARTHUR HOY's family in NSW?

He was born Arthur Joseph Hoy in Tyne Dock, SOUTH SHIELDS. Co. Durham on 26 March 1910 (40 Frost Street).  He was the only child of Arthur Hoy (born in South Shields on 8 February 1887; died at the District Hospital in Cessnock, NSW, on 8 April 1955 (aged 68)) and Ellen Ditchburn.  He was a miner who, I believe, worked in the Kurri Kurri mines.  From the 1930s, at least, he was living at 1 Chapman Street, Cessnock.  I don't know when Ellen died but she was a widow.

Arthur Hoy (junior) was my Dad's cousin.  He emigrated to Australia with his parents just after the Great War.  He was confirmed at his local Catholic church (SS Peter and Paul, Tyne Dock) in 1918.  He served in the Australian Navy in the Second World War, ending up as a Petty Officer Stoker.  He married Sylvia Florence Maud Kliche, who was born in Adelaide in 1906 or 1907, in the R.C. Church of Mary Immaculate in Manly (Sydney) on 25 January 1940.  He had lied about his age when he joined the R.A.N.R., taking five years off his age, claiming to have been born in 1915.

Any information relating to Arthur and both his wife and mum would be greatly appreciated.  I have a large file outling the family history of his English rellies and some info. relating to his Irish ancestry too - the Carrickmacross area on the Monaghan-Co. Louth border.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

JL.

Hi JL,
Arthur J Hoy and Ellen Dunn children:
Married at Walcha in 1911 Reg: 3229
[/b]

1. Ellen I Born:1911 at Walcha, Reg: 46565.

2. Jean A Born: 1913 at Walcha. Reg: 17902.

3. Wilfred Thomas John Born: 1914 at Walcha. Reg: 52393.
married Doris Florence Hahn at Armidale. in 1938 Reg: 4927.

4. David H Born: 1915 at Walcha. Reg:  50185.
married Eileen Ethel Jamieson at Walcha in 1939. Reg: 15113.

5. Victor Stanley Born: 1917 at Walcha. Reg: 19217.
married Aileen Joyce Steep at Walcha in 1942 reg: 17897.

6. Eva Jennie  Born: 1918 at Walcha. Reg: 45323.
Married John Johansson at Armidale in 1940 reg: 4252.
[/b]

Death's:
There is a Arthur J Hoy died in 1963 at Walcha informment: John and Alice A Hoy.

Ellen Hoy died 1956 in Walcha reg: 14789. Imforments: Thomas and Ellen Dunn.
[/b]
Hope this helps you J L .

OzyBob. 
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Granny Dot - my great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 06 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi JL,

The references to the Hoys at Walcha are unfortunately not yours.

All the Hoys in Walcha are descended from John Hoy and Sarah Haggar who emmigrated from Elmdon, Essex with their sons Arthur and Alfred in 1854.  On arrival in Walcha, NSW they had more children - Amos, John (married Alice Ann Reading), Harriet, Mary Ann and Ellen.

Arthur John Hoy who married Ellen Dunn is a son of John Hoy and Alice Ann Reading.

I know all this as I am a 3xgreat granddaughter of John Hoy and Sarah Haggar from their son Arthur.

Debbie
DICKSON, COWAN, ARMSTRONG, MARTIN - Roxburghshire
MITCHELL, MCCORMICK, CAMERON, CLEGG - Argyllshire
HOY - Essex, Australia
GRUNDY - Berkshire, Australia
ROPER - Hampshire, Australia
GILLIES - Aberdeenshire, Australia
BANKHEAD - Ireland?, Australia

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks Jenn, OzyBob and Debbie,

I appreciate all of your efforts to support/guide my quest to discover my rellies in Oz.  I already had Arthur Hoy's R.A.N.R. record from WW2, Jenn, but thanks for bringing this particular website to my attention anyway.  I don't believe Frank Hoy is related because on Arthur Hoy Senior's death certificate it specifically states that he had only the one son/child. Thanks also for the info. on the Essex/Walcha Hoys.  I saw their names on the NSW website that you can order certificates from and had wondered about their origin but between you, OzyBob and Debbie, you've now answered that for me.  Every little bit helps ... even if it isn't always the 'bit' YOU are after.

Regards.

Peter.

Offline 48ers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 10 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi JL,

The references to the Hoys at Walcha are unfortunately not yours.

All the Hoys in Walcha are descended from John Hoy and Sarah Haggar who emmigrated from Elmdon, Essex with their sons Arthur and Alfred in 1854.  On arrival in Walcha, NSW they had more children - Amos, John (married Alice Ann Reading), Harriet, Mary Ann and Ellen.

Arthur John Hoy who married Ellen Dunn is a son of John Hoy and Alice Ann Reading.

I know all this as I am a 3xgreat granddaughter of John Hoy and Sarah Haggar from their son Arthur.

Debbie
These Hoys are my relatives - Email address removed to prevent spam or other possible abuse. Please communicate via PM.
BRADNAM/BRADMAN - Withersfield SFK & CAM & LND; ELDER Andrew Anstruther Easter FIF SCT; HOY - Elmdon Essex; HOY - Australia;RYLE - Australia;STOREY - Rushbrooke SFK;STURGEON - Rushbrooke & Pakenham SFK;WOOLLARD - Withersfield SFK

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur HOY - NSW
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 10 01:26 GMT (UK) »
You may already have these which are some HOYs on the electoral roll mostly in Cessnock. Occupations are the same in each listing.

1930 Arthur HOY, miner and Nellie, home duties, Carl St Muswellbrook,

1933 Arthur HOY Junior, miner, 4 Vernon St Cessnock

1936 Arthur, Arthur Jnr and Nellie 106 Allandale St, Cessnock

1937 Arthur Jnr at Allandale St, Arthur and Nellie at 1 Chapman St Cessnock (perhaps A jnr had not changed his enrolment details)

1943 Arthur, Arthur Jnr and Nellie at 1 Chapman St Cessnock (once again - looks as though A jnr hasn't changed his details as Sylvia is listed in Nth Sydney)

1943 Sylvia Florence Maud HOY, home duties, 85 West St, Crows Nest (subdivision North Sydney)

1949 Arthur and Nellie at Chapman St
Arthur Jnr and Sylvia Florence Maud HOY, home duties, 81 Congewai St, Cessnock

1953 Nellie and Arthur at 3 Chapman St (it deifinitely had No 1 on earlier records)

I can't see Arthur Jnr or Sylvia on 1953 roll.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur HOY - NSW
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 January 10 01:52 GMT (UK) »
There is this death notice on the Ryerson Index - Port Fairy is a long way from Cessnock, but perhaps.......

HOY Ellen Mary (Nell), d 3 Dec 2004 at Moyneyana House, Port Fairy, Victoria. Death Notice in Herald Sun (Melbourne) 10 Dec 2004

Ryerson offer a look-up service.

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

The only death for an Ellen HOY that I can see on NSW BMDs up to 1979 is the one in Walcha so apparently not your family.  There is another one - seeing as she uses "Nellie" on electoral rolls - unfortuantely dsoesn't give a district.  Perhaps you know her parents' name/s?
1979  HOY Hilda Nellie, father: Allen; mother Eliza.  Reg no 102436

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk