Author Topic: Arthur HOY - NSW  (Read 11368 times)

Offline JARRA LAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur HOY - NSW
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 August 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again Michael,

Some further preliminary basic genealogical info. re. the Hoy family to get you up and running.

Arthur's five brothers who lived beyond infancy were:

1.  Matthew: B. 1 November 1882 at 54 Northumberland Street, Sunderland.  Co. Durham.  Christened/baptised: 19 March 1883 at St. Leonard's R.C. Church, Sunderland.  [He was born illegitimately.]  Married: 2 January 1902 at St. Bede's R.C. Church in South Shields - Mary Johnson Wright.  Died: 27 March 1929, aged 46.  [Of pneumonia at 218 John Williamson Street, South Shields.] (Mary died on 2 May 1937, aged 54).

2.  Patrick: B. 28 June 1884 at 49 Brougham St., Sunderland. C. in St. Mary's R.C. in Sunderland.  M (1): 30 April 1910 at St. Bede's R.S. in SS (Elizabeth Thomas: she died aged 32 and was buried in SS. on 21 June 1924).  M (2): 3 October 1925 (St. Bede's R.C.) - Elizabeth McPadden, died 12 February 1933, aged 31, in SS). D. 7 December 1946 in Slough (then Berkshire), aged 63.

3.  James: B. 6 July 1890 (SS). C. at home that same day and later C. in St. Bede's R.C. on 22 July 1890.   Unmarried.  D. 13 July 1915, aged 25.  Killed in Action at Gallipoli, Turkey, in the Action of Achi Baba Nullah.

4.  Frederick William: B. 2 January 1892 (SS). C. 16 January 1892 (St. Bede's).  M. 15 April 1918 (Ellen Baines), St. Bede's R.C., SS.  D. 13 November 1957. aged 65, in SS.

5. Thomas: B. 9 June 1897 at 18 South Frederick Street, SS.  M. 14 June 1928 - Catherine Ann Millan, B. in SS. on 29 April 1900.  D. 6 August 1960, aged 63, in Elswick, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.  Catherine Hoy, my Nana, died on 14 September 1983, aged 83.  They had separated when my Dad was about three and a half or four in 1933-4.

Michael. there's masses more I could tell you but I suspect that that's probably more than enough for now.  I have all the info. typed out in the form of extended family trees which I should be able to send Barbara and yourself in the form of attachments once we learn each other's e-mail addresses.

Just to tell you that I have now been able to make contact with descendants of all four of my Hoy great uncles who got married and had their own families.  I'm pleased with and proud of that fact.  I have been able to follow all the Hoeys/Hoys back to the 1851 Census and know that your grandad had ancestors from Co. Louth. the townland of Leons Beg near Carrickmacross in Co. Monaghan, and the small town of Mohill in Co. Leitrim.  You'll be given all this extra info. in time, hopefully.

Regards.

Peter.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 August 11 23:09 BST (UK) »
I am allways happy to help where and when I can, because I have had so much help from  the good folk on rootschat here and in England.  I have received a lot of help from  the Durham/Yorkshire area as my gggf John Hair came from  the area as did one of my other  ggm Ellen Brownless.

Now I never thought to ask if there was a headstone in place  and that is something I usually do, very remiss of me.  I shall do so on Monday.  One of my brothers is actually down that way house sitting and I am sure I can ask him  to go and take a photo if he is up to it, 

Perhaps your further contact with Agooly will tell you about that

To  contact Agooly privately  just just click on  the little green icon to the left of  thescreen and send a pm.  Agooly can't do this until he has three posts

I have enjoyed reading  your family  details as it is very well written and to the point.

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline jessica.bickley94

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. I’m very new to family history searching so I’m not really sure what I’m doing here. Hopefully someone sees this.

I’m researching my partners family tree. Her name is Quana Sylvia Brown. Her mother Lyndall, brother David and sister Andrea. Her grandmother Catherine and brother unknown. Last names all Hoy’s. German background.
Now I’ve been told that my partner gets her middle name from her great granny called Sylvia.

On this post, I’ve seen Sylvia Florence Maude Kliche and Arthur Hoy been mentioned. I’ve seen a gravesite for these people buried at Cheltenham Cemetery, Sylvia passes away in 1995 and Arthur in 1986.
I’m just very confused when somebody has answered this post saying they are children and grandchildren of Sylvia Kliche and Arthur Hoy.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Jessica.

On this post, I’ve seen Sylvia Florence Maude Kliche and Arthur Hoy been mentioned.

I’m a tad confused buy your post.

Are you saying that those you are researching are of the folk above?

Could you list the names of the folk in your line, births, deaths and marriages, working backwards in time?

Please note that names of the living cannot be posted on Rootschat, so you may have to edit your first post.

I assume Cheltenham Cemetery is in VIC. I see not death for an Arthur Hoy on VICBDM.

Arthur Joseph Hoy, born in South Sheilds was my grand father. He did marry Sylvia Florence Maud Kliche and move to West Lakes South Australia from Sydney NSW. He worked on the Yelta TS, a steam Tug in Port Adelaide for many years as a stoker. He died on 21 Febuary 1986. He was survived by his wife Sylvia (died 26/6/1995) and two children, Barbara and David and 4 Grand children, Michael and Caroline, Yvette and Craig. He is buried in the Cheltenham Cemetery.  If you need any addition info please ask.

Hopefully, they will get notification of your enquiry and reply.

I do not see a death registration for Arthur’s death in 1986.  :-\

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, duplicated information.  :)

There is this death notice on the Ryerson Index - Port Fairy is a long way from Cessnock, but perhaps.......

HOY Ellen Mary (Nell), d 3 Dec 2004 at Moyneyana House, Port Fairy, Victoria. Death Notice in Herald Sun (Melbourne) 10 Dec 2004

Ryerson offer a look-up service.

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

The only death for an Ellen HOY that I can see on NSW BMDs up to 1979 is the one in Walcha so apparently not your family.  There is another one - seeing as she uses "Nellie" on electoral rolls - unfortuantely dsoesn't give a district.  Perhaps you know her parents' name/s?
1979  HOY Hilda Nellie, father: Allen; mother Eliza.  Reg no 102436

Judith

This Ellen husband was Augustine:

HOY. - Ellen Mary (Nell), on Dec. 3, 2004 at Moyneyana House, Port Fairy. Beloved wife of the late Augustine (Gus), loved mother of Neville, Nola, Carmel and Marcia. Grandmother of nine and great grandmother of 13. Rest in Peace
Obituaries
Published in Herald Sun on 10/12/2004

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the online index and there isn’t a birth for Sylvia Kliche.

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32

There is an engagement notice though, 4th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article92418644

The father I believe is Christian Gotthilf KLICHE who was married 1903 - in Adelaide - to Florence Elizabeth JORDAN.

He married Sylvia Florence Maud Kliche, who was born in Adelaide in 1906 or 1907, in the R.C. Church of Mary Immaculate in Manly (Sydney) on 25 January 1940

7042/1940 HOY Arthur to KLICHE Sylvia Florence Maud MANLY

The marriage cert should provide parents’ names.

Jamjar

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Births in South Australia
KLICHE Sylvia Florence Maude
28 Dec 1906
Father Christian Gotthilf KLICHE   Mother Florence Elizabeth JORDAN
At Walkerville    Ade 776/432

KLICHE Merle Margaret
13 Sep 1910
Father Christian Gotthilf KLICHE   Mother Florence Elizabeth JORDAN
At Payneham   Nor 850/496

Marriage of parents
KLICHE Christian Gotthilf  33 years  Status Widower  Father Christian Gotthilf KLICHE
JORDAN  Florence Elizabeth  19 years  Status Single  Father John Stephen JORDAN
9 Sep 1903
At the Registry Office [Adelaide]  Ade 216/951

The HOY's are interred at the Cheltenham Cemetery, Cheltenham SA
http://www.aca.sa.gov.au/Records

Arthur's and Sylvia's headstone
https://billiongraves.com/grave/ARTHUR-JOSEPH-HOY/12420115

Their children are named on the headstone.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Death in SA
HOY Ellen  77 years  Status Widow  Relative Arthur Joseph HOY [Deceased Husband]
6 Aug 1967
Residence Semaphore Park  Death Place Woodville   Hin H 33A/5371
Symbol H indicates she died in a hospital or place of care.

Ellen's headstone at Cheltenham Cemetery SA
https://billiongraves.com/grave/Ellen-Hoy/4628204

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Last names all Hoy’s. German background.
jessica.bickley94

Not quite correct.  Arthur Joseph HOY and his son were born in England.   Ellen HOY is buried in the Cheltenham cemetery.  See my last post.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Births Mar 1887   
HOY Arthur        S. Shields    10a/704

Births Jun qtr 1910 
HOY    Arthur Joseph         S. Shields    10a/   891